Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    I agree with bb. My personal choice is a 7mm rem mag in a rem 700 adl.
    I would go with a 7mm or 300 win mag. I like the shorts performance but I don't like mag capacity! I hear they are tough to reload for also. I do not have any experience with that.
    I have had several short mags, and found them really easy to load for. Mag capacity differences is 1 round usually.

To clarify me post above, my Model 7 is sub 7 pounds without a scope and unloaded. The total weight is loaded and scope mounted. I like the balance between portability and shootability at around those weights (those t3 lites are in there - those are nice rifles).

When I talked about the super light rifles, I was talking about rifles like New Ultra Light Arms and the above referenced Kimber. It is tough to keep your heartbeat from making the crosshairs move on those little rifles. Recoil is higher on lighter rifles but proper shooting technique should take care of it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So I checked the weight of three guns again, the 243 wssm with z5 5x25 was 8 lbs, the Rem 700 with v-ll was 9lbs and the Browning 7mm with a VX-7L 4.5x18 weighted 10.5. These scopes were purchased before I found out about the effects of age on exit pupil. Ammo is lighter for the short mags.
    I think I will take the 243 to the range today. We have an indoor 100 yd range with all the goodies.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I am an old fashioned, older hunter (70). I have a .300 Wby on a custom built commercial Mauser. It is an old rifle that has served me well. I rebarreled it recently with a Shilen Match SS barrel. It also has a B & C composited alum bedded stock. Not particularly light, but very accurate. Shoots less than minute groups at 500 yds.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    So I checked the weight of three guns again, the 243 wssm with z5 5x25 was 8 lbs, the Rem 700 with v-ll was 9lbs and the Browning 7mm with a VX-7L 4.5x18 weighted 10.5. These scopes were purchased before I found out about the effects of age on exit pupil. Ammo is lighter for the short mags.
    I think I will take the 243 to the range today. We have an indoor 100 yd range with all the goodies.
    Xtreme,

You could save quite a bit of weight putting some smaller glass on those rifles. I have a 2-7x32 Vortex Viper on my backpacking gun, and it is a nice match. If you like your z5, Swarovski makes a 3-9x32 Z3 that is a fine hunting scope with excellent optical performance. It is also pretty affordable, for a Swarovski.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I recently got a browning xbolt 30-06 and a 7mag. I really like the xbolt 06, very light, and very accurate. I started a thread called All around western big game rifle, or something like that, that has alot of information. Take a look at it, theres alot of great info on there that everyone provided.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 2 Posts
    If you can only buy one gun. I would recommend the 300win mag. You can hunt anything with it with such a wide variety of bullets. For a backcountry gun I would recommend a 257 weatherby mag in a remington cdl with a fluted barrel. Thats my 2cents and my opinion.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought my wife a Browning A-Bolt II, Stainless Stalker, in 300wsm with the BOSS. Its light (approx. 6 1/2 lbs) and shoots my reloads into small 3/8 inch groups at 100 yards. I really like it, oh, by the way my wify likes it too. Its her only rifle and uses it for all her big game hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What kind of price ramge are you looking at? Best bang for your buck it the Tikka T3 Lite I own one in 300 Win Mag. If you ar looking to spend a hefty chunk of change look at christiansen arms

Thanks
    Congratulations
    cant go wrong with a 300 win mag. I backpack hunt with an a-bolt synthetic stock ad leopold v3 3x9 lightweight and accurate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    I have two Win model 70's fetherweigths, one in 7x57 the other in 6.5x55. They are 6.5lb guns without the scope. I have a 2x7 leupold and a 2x7 Burris compact scope on them. I shot a goat, a bear and several deer on backpack hunts here in WA with the 7x57 loaded hot. They are my go to rifles when I backpack hunt.