Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Definitely a lazy approach to controlling an elk herd...I agree with you guys get the congressmen and special interest groups involved, using humans as the management tool, and I would like to add it would be a great opportunity for kids and vets to get free tags to help with that areas "apparent" elk problem.
    luck is when opportunity meets preparation...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What can non residents do to stop this?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Like I said in my previous post...not new to Colorado. Rocky Mountain National Park is simply overrun with elk. I am sure the park officials and naturalists are right that they are doing damage to the trees, shrubs and habitat. In RMNP's case the park officials said wolves would help solve the problem and there was a huge uproar and they backed off. They decided to hire "professional hunters" (whoever the hell they are!) to shoot some of the elk. RMEF, Colorado State Wildlife and lots of hunting groups protested. Several other proposals for real hunters to to buy tags and take the surplus were put forth, actually making the park $$$. But for not... as the "no hunting in NPs" mandate prevailed. I am sure similiar cases of NPs being overrun with game are out there. IMHO the only way to solve this is at the national level. As much as I hate Washington DC, they are the ones we have to get to. RMEF, NRA and your local representatives to Congress is the place to start. If I remember correctly, it is not law that we cannot hunt in NPs, it tradition and by directive from the Dept of Interior head (very political!!) Caveat....I am recalling this situation from a 70 year old's prospective and my memory might be a little fuzzy on some of the exact facts...but generally thats what happened!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 01-27-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Like I said in my previous post...not new to Colorado. Rocky Mountain National Park is simply overrun with elk. I am sure the park officials and naturalists are right that they are doing damage to the trees, shrubs and habitat. In RMNP's case the park officials said wolves would help solve the problem and there was a huge uproar and they backed off. They decided to hire "professional hunters" (whoever the hell they are!) to shoot some of the elk. RMEF, Colorado State Wildlife and lots of hunting groups protested. Several other proposals for real hunters to to buy tags and take the surplus were put forth, actually making the park $$$. But for not... as the "no hunting in NPs" mandate prevailed. I am sure similiar cases of NPs being overrun with game are out there. IMHO the only way to solve this is at the national level. As much as I hate Washington DC, they are the ones we have to get to. RMEF, NRA and your local representatives to Congress is the place to start. If I remember correctly, it is not law that we cannot hunt in NPs, it tradition and by directive from the Dept of Interior head (very political!!) Caveat....I am recalling this situation from a 70 year old's prospective and my memory might be a little fuzzy on some of the exact facts...but generally thats what happened!
    I read the article in the Denver post back in 2007 on the what you mention about the Rocky Mountain National Parks decision to cull the elk herd in the park. I was encouraged that they proposed recreational hunters instead of professional hunters but like you mentioned it was turned down favoring the 1929 law of no hunting in the park.

I would gather with what happened in Yellowstone introducing wolves and them spreading outside the boundary of the park, professional paid hunters to cull the herd is what they will end up deciding also for Baca National Wildlife Refuge too.

I find it sad that the recreational hunter can't be used more as a wildlife management tool. Instead decisions are continually made that cost the state millions of dollars each year. Money the state continually mentions they don't have and we see cutbacks to state programs. That just does not seem beneficial to the state to me. Recreational hunters would not only be glad to hunt and help manage the big game but they would pay for the privilege to do so and create some positive revenue for the state.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5189374
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 01-27-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I have a better solution that would cost the same more or less. Why doesnt Colorado cull the herd like a cattle rancher would. You pick out a group of animals, round them up, and truck them off?
    Maybe sell them to a state that needs a boost back to a local herd that is being ate off by wolves already? Obviously we are recognizing our big game is missing right? Obviously we agree wolves have ate more than that which was intended(as if we could know how wolves acted right? God!! Who knew they ate meat right?)
    Anyway sarcasm aside.......dart the elk, load em up....truck them to a needed place. Maybe other states may even buy the elk like an auction??????? Off-set cost of round up for Colorado......build up the missing in states that need the help???????

I know its common cense... Good thing Im not a politician I would be lynched with ideas like this.
    I hunt because......
    Check out my shops website!!! www.blackvelvetcustoms.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im sorry for not considering one thing though.......some how some way there would end up being some scientific reason the elk would be sick of coarse and may make other heards sick.....just an impossible accomplishment to do.....

But it was ok to bring in wolves....they didnt consider any canine problems... FYI this was just to cover any excuses that would be spoken on in a public hearing....haha because you know that would be a number one bonafied ignorant one they would use!
    I hunt because......
    Check out my shops website!!! www.blackvelvetcustoms.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...icles/usfwswtf

I found this on bowsite.com , time to bombard these guys with your comments. Common sense just escapes these people, instead of issuing more tags and different seasons to cull the herd they will spend millions of our tax dollars to drop some wolves into hills and let the population go unchecked. Our game animals and our hunting heritage will soon be on the endangered list because of these idiots! Let them now how you feel.
    Aim small, Miss small.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Simple wolf solution.........shoot, shut-up, walk away. Problem solved.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They are bound and determined to ruin big game hunting !! Why are wolves needed for anything and then protect them ?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Absolutely amazing! Why dosen't someone just ask Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana how well wolf reintroduction worked for them! This is yet again one of the dumbest things the Feds could do! To bad they just continue to try and push the same mistakes!