Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pronghorn units

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pronghorn units

New to this page but am planing on doing a pronghorn hunt in wyoming if we can draw tags. looking at units 88, 63 and 75. how are the populations in these units and what kinda of draw odds do we have in these units. what other units does anybody suggest that may have better odds of drawling that have good access to public land and good numbers of goats. please give me any info would be great thanks zack bower

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Zack,
    All 3 units you list have draw odds of less than 10% for non-resident with 0 points. Basically it works like this, good access, good animals, good drawing odds = pick any 2. There is a ton of information on the Wyoming game & fish website. I looked up the odds for your question in about 15 seconds. Start there with your research, look at the season dates, public access and drawing odds. I started with public access then drawing odds season dates were not of any concern to me because I can go anytime during the season. Lastly look at the success rates. Do your home work, the planning is almost as much fun as the hunt for me. The biggest lesson I have learned as a non-resident DIY hunter is that there are no free lunches.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BobT is correct....use the web site. I have used it since it was put online. It is especially useful for drawing odds, number of permits available, pref pts by applicant. It also gives history by year, good info if you want to know applicants & tag trends . If you have question, call G & F, they are also extremely helpful.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Hey Zach....Another tool that is really good for this is the Eastmans MRS (Member Research Section). Get a subscription to Eastman's Hunting Journal (you would need to do that pretty quickly), that is the magazine they put out and in the February issue in the back of the magazine there will be a breakdown for antelope hunts. I think you have to have the subscription, I don't believe the issues on the magazine rack have the MRS in them (I may be wrong on that). The MRS section in February will breakdown the Wyoming antelope hunts for 2012 and will show what your draw odds are, access, quality of animals and season dates. That is a really helpful tool for first time antelope hunters.

If you really want to hunt antelope in Wyoming, buy a preference point this year. With one or two points and then applying for the "special" antelope license (the higher cost license) you can hunt a quality antelope area in 2-3 years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just got my mrs stuff last week and have found some pages that are alittle easier to understand with the draw odds and all going to look at some other areas

Thanks
    Congratulations

Unit 23

Does anybody have any info on unit 23 looks to be 100 % draw as a second choice pic but after doing alot of reading about the unit there is a good bit of blm land but sees to be hard to access. I downloaded a topo map that shows the blm and forest lands and there are roads going through it all but are these roads private?? Can anybody help me out here thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you have the points to draw 75 put in for it. I had 3 buddies that hunted it last year and they all killed bucks just over 15 inches with good mass. Said they saw around 500 animals a day. Lots of public land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by zbower View Post
    Does anybody have any info on unit 23 looks to be 100 % draw as a second choice pic but after doing alot of reading about the unit there is a good bit of blm land but sees to be hard to access. I downloaded a topo map that shows the blm and forest lands and there are roads going through it all but are these roads private?? Can anybody help me out here thanks
    The roads goign through the BLM and forest land are public. The problem you will run into is that if there is public land before those roads, that part of the road is private and you will have to seek permission from the land owner.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you have the points i would go to 75 there alot of antelope and public land

Thanks
    Congratulations

antelope

done some more research and have made a decision of units to pick for a special draw license. first 83 second 73 and thrid is up in the air between 72 66 and 65. if anybody has any info about my first two pics that i have decided to send if for would be great and for my thrid choice it sounds like 72 could be difficult to access public lands but the other two look ok for public access. if anybody has any info on these last three units for which is better in terms or public access or good size goats. then for my first and second choice if you have hunted here before any tips on best parts of the units to go where to start in them thanks alot everyone