Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hunting the Selway

Hey guys im new here so ill give a lil intro.

Im Mike Im 29 from Minnesota have hunted everything here in MN and hunted antelope and mule deer in WY and SD. this coming fall i would like to try my hand at elk I am going with some friends in CO in november but would also like to try elk in the Selway Bitterroot wilderness area. I have heard mixed reviews of this area. I am not looking for your secert spot i am simply looking for a review of the area. I have been told it is super steep and brushy and practically un huntable. Now i am looking to back pack it and get in a ways to hunt. Is it a doable hunt or am i just dreaming? I am not looking for a trophy just a respectable bull.

Thanks
    Theres plenty of hunting to be had in the Selway. Nothing is ever to steep or brushy. Thats where the elk live. But they are having a problem with wolves. The elk population had declined dramatically the last few years. Some good bulls come out of there every year also.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hvfd21walker View Post
    Theres plenty of hunting to be had in the Selway. Nothing is ever to steep or brushy. Thats where the elk live. But they are having a problem with wolves. The elk population had declined dramatically the last few years. Some good bulls come out of there every year also.
    Thanks i had heard about the wolves but i had also heard since the wolves moved in and elk numbers dropped that the hunting preasure droped as well hope that is true.
    I am thinking of going on a spring bear hunt in there this may as a lil bit of a scouting trip and of course hunting trip to find a bear. is there many bears in there?

Thanks
    Hunting pressure hasn't dropped too much. There are much fewer elk in the Selway than ... say ... ten years ago.

Even so, the Selway is B ... I ... G. The outfitters cover a lot of country, but much doesn't see a boot. If you can get away from the major portal trailheads, river, and landing strips, you can still find some critters. Buy some wolf tags.

The Selway still has excellent bear hunting, however.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

mconway951 (01-26-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Hunting pressure hasn't dropped too much. There are much fewer elk in the Selway than ... say ... ten years ago.

Even so, the Selway is B ... I ... G. The outfitters cover a lot of country, but much doesn't see a boot. If you can get away from the major portal trailheads, river, and landing strips, you can still find some critters. Buy some wolf tags.

The Selway still has excellent bear hunting, however.
    Thats good to hear i dont mind getting our away from crowds...i just ordered the maps from national forest service is there a place i can look and see where the landing strips are so i dont hike right into one.

A wolf would be a great trophy as well. How is the mule deer hunting in there?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mconway951 View Post
    Thats good to hear i dont mind getting our away from crowds...i just ordered the maps from national forest service is there a place i can look and see where the landing strips are so i dont hike right into one.

I would think google earth would show the landing strips pretty good, there shouldn't be too many places where there are long green strips.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mconway951 View Post

Buy the Selway Wilderness Maps from the Forest Service Maps Website. The landing strips are clearly marked. A Hiking guide would be a good investment. Some good mule deer have come out of there, but I haven't seen many. the whitetail hunting is very good.

Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

mconway951 (01-26-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Buy the Selway Wilderness Maps from the Forest Service Maps Website. The landing strips are clearly marked. A Hiking guide would be a good investment. Some good mule deer have come out of there, but I haven't seen many. the whitetail hunting is very good.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the great info i know its gonna be tough hunt but i just wanted confirmation that it is a doable hunt.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    I live very near the Selway, and to be VERY honest, I would not travel half way across the country to hunt there. Contact IDFG and ask for their aerial elk survey info from the last 5-10 years and that should explain it all. The elk numbers are very low in a VAST landscape. The vegetation is very thick compared many places, which makes for slow going and its hard to spot game from a distance. Calling is the preferred method during the rut. You will have a hard time finding a more beautiful place to hunt, but the elk encounters will be few.
    Dirk Durham
    Elk 101 Prostaff
    www.elk101.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to THEBUGLER For This Useful Post:

mconway951 (01-26-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by THEBUGLER View Post
    I live very near the Selway, and to be VERY honest, I would not travel half way across the country to hunt there. Contact IDFG and ask for their aerial elk survey info from the last 5-10 years and that should explain it all. The elk numbers are very low in a VAST landscape. The vegetation is very thick compared many places, which makes for slow going and its hard to spot game from a distance. Calling is the preferred method during the rut. You will have a hard time finding a more beautiful place to hunt, but the elk encounters will be few.
    Thats not great news the reason i was looking to go here is the timing of the season as it fits with my other antelope and elk hunts for next fall. Do you know of anyother area in the state i should consider as a better option even if i had to move the dates around a little bit. Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated