Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I read this post this morning and was watching a show this afternoon where this guy was hunting bison on Indian land, the wind was blowing hard and shot at 35 yards. Totally a bad shot! He hit this bison in the hind quarter. He said the wind was blowing so hard it knocked his arrow off of his rest. He kept making excuses but in the end, he made a terrible shot and shouldn't have let go if he couldn't make that shot. He also asked the camera man how much he should shoot into the wind. They ended up killing the animal a little later but still. On one hand I like that they are honest on tv putting that because it is reality but on the other it is something no one likes to see, hunters and non hunters.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A really stupid, disgusting display of very poor judgement on the part of Tom Nelson. This is another example of the pressure that is put on these guys to produce video footage, at all cost. Poor shots do happen but to display something like this for young up and coming bowhunters to view and then act like the shot was no big deal (the I got'em mentality) is just plain irresponsible on everyone's part. I've never used any Dead Down Wind products and I never, ever will. If I ever run into Nelson at a sports show he'll get a good dressing down too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    When your time comes, own the shot and finish the job
    This is good advice in hunting and life in general.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I dvr`ed it and watched it lastnight and it was VERY poor shot selection. About the only hunting shows that I even watch anymore are Eastman`s and On Your Own Adventures. The more that I watched the others it was kind of a turn off watching someone jumping up and down fist bumping and repeatedly saying " YEAH BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!" and constantly talking about their food plots. Give me Guy and Mike Eastman and any of their guys 14 miles in the middle of the backcountry doing it the way it is supposed to be done anyday !! That being said I really enjoy Randy Newberg`s way of hunting on public land and not necessarily hunting huge animals. He seems to really enjoy what hunting is really about: the experience of trying to outsmart your quarry.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    This is good advice in hunting and life in general.
    ++ for that bitterroot!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Has anyone seen the last couple Western Extreme shows with Jim Burnsworth? In both I think he's taken some pretty reckless shots. The first being on an elk hunt in which he took a frontal shot with his bow, I shot that I've passed up a number of times and have seen other professional hunters pass up. Then his latest on his Desert Bighorn hunt in Sonora, Mexico; he takes a longer shot in which he doesnt give the range. He says his first arrow finds its mark, but I could never confirm that after watching it in slow motion. Then he lobs a second at 93 yards while the two rams are stacked on top of themselves. This arrow hits close to the spine right behind the lungs of the first but since he supposedly had an arrow in one, I didn't get why he was taking a second with the possibility of hitting that second ram. His show gets sketchier and sketchier if you ask me. Too much pressure is being put on making a kill these days, I'm fine with watching a show that doesnt always have an animal on the ground.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We as viewers of such shows should hammer theses guys when the make shots like this, and then down play the significance of what they have done. Forums like this can be used to spread the word, and then places like FB can be used to send them a message. Also putting pressure on their sponsors, and networks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Futboler View Post
    Has anyone seen the last couple Western Extreme shows with Jim Burnsworth? In both I think he's taken some pretty reckless shots. The first being on an elk hunt in which he took a frontal shot with his bow, I shot that I've passed up a number of times and have seen other professional hunters pass up. Then his latest on his Desert Bighorn hunt in Sonora, Mexico; he takes a longer shot in which he doesnt give the range. He says his first arrow finds its mark, but I could never confirm that after watching it in slow motion. Then he lobs a second at 93 yards while the two rams are stacked on top of themselves. This arrow hits close to the spine right behind the lungs of the first but since he supposedly had an arrow in one, I didn't get why he was taking a second with the possibility of hitting that second ram. His show gets sketchier and sketchier if you ask me. Too much pressure is being put on making a kill these days, I'm fine with watching a show that doesnt always have an animal on the ground.
    I haven't seen the episode involving a full frontal shot on an elk but if I do I will email him and give him my thoughts on it. I've met the man briefly and he seems really down to earth and I get the feeling he would take any input seriously. It isn't so much I feel HE shouldn't take that shot as I have learned it best to not decide what is right for other people (sometimes they are a lot better than me!) but as a TV show host I think they need to stick to the basics of what entry level hunters should be doing and taking a full frontal shot is not it. I'm sure some people can probably do it and have great results and if so Burnsworth is one of them but clearly the danger is every new archery that looks up to the guy will think they can too. The problem is they don't hunt 300 days a year and will be more prone to the jitters many of us face when taking our one shot a year at an elk. The target on that shot is small and the risk high! I will always pass.

As for the sheep his first shot was 73 yards which is farther than I will shoot at a game animal but he did get the job done so I can't judge him for taking that shot but again wish he would stick to more fundamental stuff on TV. The goal of bowhunting should be to NEVER screw up and that means only taking high probability shots.

At any rate, I've never seen Burnsworth do anything comparable to the pathetic attempt of shooting that little moose that was displayed on American Archer as it was walking nearly straight away. And on the third day! It's almost like Tom Nelson couldn't get out of the woods fast enough so he flings a horrible shot at a poorly presented dink of a moose. I removed his show from the DVR schedule that's for sure....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That episode caught me off guard due to the fact that Tom nelson didn't miss a beat he was all smiles and life was fine. I had to rewind it and take a second look. "yep its sticking up out of his a##".I told myself. Not what I expect to see from guys representing what bowhunting is all about. As for Jim burnsworth I have a ton of respect for I know there is more than enough contreversy out there for what is ethical and what's not in reality it boils down to self confidence in your own ability. I think Jim made a good shot on the sheep and an impressive second shot as well. Would I have taken the shot probably not.I was also impressed by watching the guy shoot a baseball at 100 yards. And the last episode I watched he threaded mesquite trees at 30 yards to make a beutiful shot on a deer 20 yards past the trees.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was by no means downplaying Jim's abilities as an archer, I think he's a phenomenal shot and definitely has range that only comes from tons of practice. I can't stop watching his shows because like Eastman's he specializes in Western big game. I follow his philosophy on sticking a 2nd arrow in an animal even if it is slightly out of range and his 2nd shot on that sheep was spectacular. I just thought there was the risk of tagging that other ram. Risk was greater than the reward for me. I brought it up bc that was the 2nd week in a row I thought he made a questionable decision.