Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well Hopefully I'll be burning them Wyoming Elk Points this year

Somehow I missed a couple years and only had 4 points going into this years draw but I got tired of just applying for points so this year hopefully I burnt them points. Looks like I got a pretty good shot at burning my Antelope points as well.

With a lot of research on the Wyoming webpage, countless hours of studing the MRS section regarding Wyoming Elk & Antelope through the past couple years magazine & Eastman's web site and finally with a little help via PM from a member here I finally selected a unit with all but 2 hours to spare before the deadline. If the draw God's see fit I'll be rifle hunting Elk in the Big Horns next year and chasing speed goats in Central Wyoming. The info I gained from the MRS section alone was more than worth the cost of a couple years subscription here at Eastman's

I am really looking forward to getting up to Wyoming, it will be my first year hunting there. I have spent most of my hunting seasons hunting California, Utah and New Mexico. Later this year I'll be moving to SW Oklahoma then a year later to New Mexico so this will probably be my last year to burn those Calif points. But I can't complain about the Calif draws. I drew a Tule Elk tag in '96 (took a beautiful 6x8 bull) and a Likely Tables Antelope tag in 2009 (took a nice 15" buck) and if any of you know anything about drawing premimum tags in California thats a miracle.

Heres a shout out to all you out there looking at hunting a new state this year. DO YOUR HOME WORK, the information is there you just have to look for it and take a chance with your intuition and like anything else put some work into it.

Good luck to everyone out there with the upcoming draws and hunt safe.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 1 Post
    Good luck!! What area did you apply for?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unit 38 the rifle hunt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I didn't think you could miss years and retain points. 4 points for the regular tag will be close; special tag you should get it. Good choice on the unit. Are you doing the hunt with an outfitter or DIY?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice!! Definitely a good choice!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hopefully you put the points to good use and not just 'burn' them.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll be hunting DIY, I have a quite a bit of elk hunting experience and no longer have the resources to hire a guide. Elkoholic, I sure hope that burning those points ends up with a freezer full of meat. And yes I know I am right there on the edge of getting in with 4 points. I didn't loose my points because I never went more than 1 year missing applying. I missed the first year when life was going sideways, got things back on track then two years later I was fighting cancer and had too many things on my mind and missed the draw.

Actually I am one lucky man to be healthy enough to still hunt after the cancer took its toll. Actually it was the treatment that kicked my butt. Last year I drew elk tags for the second rifle season in the Pecos and it was a big milestone on my recovery. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle things, but I came through with flying colors. Neither my hunting partner or I took elk but the hunt was a hugh success. I managed to hunt hard everyday and covered quite a few miles up and down the mountain side. The weather was bad (well clear and warm everyday) and when we got in the draw we didn't realize that deer season opened the same day as our elk hunt so that added 240 extra hunters in teh field. Regardless I was still on bulls 2 of the 5 days, just never had a clean opportunity for a shot. This year I'll push it even more, but I will also be hunting by myself.

I am interested in finding out as much as I can in regards to the area in the Big Horns where my hunt is. I understand there is lots of road access, therefore lots of road hunters. So I will research if I can day hike in areas away from the roads or if I'll have to pack in and setup a base camp. Anyone have any input I am all ears.

Anyway, hope you all draw what you're hoping for and if any of you see a black F-250 with a IBOHUNT license plate or a Nash 5th wheel with HUNTCMP license plate, stop by and say hi. I'm always up for a good hunting story.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Glad to hear about your recovery from cancer!! Hope you are still doing well. I will be hunting in area 37 right next door. Good luck in your draw!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can give you tons of 38 info that's where I hunt! PM me if you have any questions!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    right on. good luck. i applied for 24....waiting on results..... hope this month goes by quickly....