View Poll Results: Should felons be able to hunt in Utah?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, any felon who has served their time should be able to.

14 17.72%
  • Yes, if crime was non-violent, non-weapon related

37 46.84%
  • No

29 36.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Convicted felons are just that.....FELONS! If someone commits a serious crime (a felony), that should have to pay for it. What the hells the difference between a bow and a firearm! Both can be considered a dangerous weapon. Would you like to have an arrow shot at you, heaven forbid it hit you. We are splitting hairs here. While not concealable, a bow is just as dangerous as a gun. In the wrong hands, its lethal! A lot of this discussion is about the moralistic ideas of crime and punishment, of which we as a civilization (and a nation) have not been able to agree on for centuries.

Guess I don't have to tell you my opinion.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks

Thanks
    I work with a guy who is a felon. Great guy works hard takes care of his 3 kids and would give you the shirt off his back. Made a bad choice about 17 years ago got assigned a lawyer and is now a felon. He did a total of about 6 hrs in jail. He said he can't have anything that fires a projectile no gun,bow,slingshot etc. Said the only hunting he could do would be hog hunting with dogs and a knife. I have mixed feelings on this because of guys like this who want their kids to learn to hunt and stuff. I am going to teach his boy to shoot because he wants him to grow up liking guns and hunting so he can learn what can be taken away with bad choices and snap decisions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sigpros View Post
    I work with a guy who is a felon. Great guy works hard takes care of his 3 kids and would give you the shirt off his back. Made a bad choice about 17 years ago got assigned a lawyer and is now a felon. He did a total of about 6 hrs in jail. He said he can't have anything that fires a projectile no gun,bow,slingshot etc. Said the only hunting he could do would be hog hunting with dogs and a knife. I have mixed feelings on this because of guys like this who want their kids to learn to hunt and stuff. I am going to teach his boy to shoot because he wants him to grow up liking guns and hunting so he can learn what can be taken away with bad choices and snap decisions.
    Here in California he could hunt with a bow depending on his parole. I checked with our Fish and Game just being courious and found the below. It seems to change state to state but I'm not sure how Missouri reads. Just thought I'd pass that on.

California Penal Code, section 12001(b)
    (b) As used in this title, "firearm" means any device, designed to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled through a barrel a projectile by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.

Felons may not possess firearms at any time (firearms are defined in California Penal Code, section 12001(b)). Crossbows are not considered archery equipment or a firearm, but they are considered to be a deadly weapon and can be used during rifle seasons. Department of Fish and Game regulations do not prohibit a felon from using a crossbow to hunt with, however, the person should first check with their parole officer to see if a crossbow violates their conditions of parole.

Thanks
    I know that a lot of older people who in their youth did something that they are not proud of and have paid their debt to society and have lived exemplory lives for years. It is not unheard of that they can have their felony reduced and be given their civil rights back. Anyon is these circumstances should consult an attorney and see if this is feasible.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Kevin Root:

You are correct for Title 14 sections of the Fish & Game Code and the legal definition per the Penal Code, however, case law dictates otherwise in the Golden State. After 24 years in law enforcement in this state, which began as a game warden, I've learned to keep updated on case decisions regarding this area. Convicted felons are not allowed to posses dangerous weapons (firearms, crossbows, bow and arrows) while on parole and many can not posses them after discharging from parole based on their conviction. As a result, most are not allowed to participate in hunting activities.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by purebowhunting View Post
    Hunting is a privilege, everyone knows the consequences of a felony before its committed, should take away as many right and privileges as possible.
    Well said!!! Definatly a sore subject with me but had a step dad who I learned alot of what I know about the outdoors get convicted of a felony and needless to say I dont think he got what he deserved.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BOHNTR View Post
    Kevin Root:

You are correct for Title 14 sections of the Fish & Game Code and the legal definition per the Penal Code, however, case law dictates otherwise in the Golden State. After 24 years in law enforcement in this state, which began as a game warden, I've learned to keep updated on case decisions regarding this area. Convicted felons are not allowed to posses dangerous weapons (firearms, crossbows, bow and arrows) while on parole and many can not posses them after discharging from parole based on their conviction. As a result, most are not allowed to participate in hunting activities.
    Good to know and thanks for your service in law enforcement BOHNTR.

Something for everyone to remember from that expression of 60's and 70's and popularized by that TV show "Baretta","Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time." The phrase advises us not to do something risky unless you are willing and able to accept the full weight of the consequences. As we see from some of the responses in this thread so far those consequences can and do go much deeper and severe than mere jail time and fines.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I don't think I am going to spend too much time worrying about the hunting rights of felons.
    +1Bitteroot Bulls
    I'm with Bitteroot Bulls on this one!

Thanks

Sfw

I find it totally laughable Utah would ban felons when they condone a boatload of thieves running their own Hunt Expo in SLC! Don Peay is 1,000X the white collar criminal as any thug caught robbing a 7-11 ! Go figure.