View Poll Results: Should felons be able to hunt in Utah?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, any felon who has served their time should be able to.

14 17.72%
  • Yes, if crime was non-violent, non-weapon related

37 46.84%
  • No

29 36.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    But I still believe that convicted FELONS should have their civil rights limited because of THEIR actions
    True, but where is the mention on this thread of the philosophy that the punishment should fit the crime? The eighth amendment entitles us to protection from "cruel and unusual punishments." IMO if the felony had nothing to do with weapons or hunting then the punishment shouldn't either.

And for those of you who think you are living clean, you should read this book. I trust the government to manage the justice system as well as they have done managing the financial system, immigration and entitlements.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies...dp_kinw_strp_1

Thanks
    Sorry....I guess we agree to disagree!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Sorry....I guess we agree to disagree!
    I have to agree with Colorado Cowboy.....
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Backcountry, look at my previous post and read it carefully. There is a way for some convicted felons (misdemeanors too) to get their record cleared up some. I have a friend who as a young adult did a pretty bad thing, beat up someone pretty bad. After 25 years of an exemplory life, contacted an attorney and to make a long story short, went to court and got the record changed to a lessor charge (not a felony). Cost lots of money and had to make amends with the person who he beat up (and they had to agree with the courts action). But I still believe that convicted FELONS should have their civil rights limited because of THEIR actions. No one held a gun to their head and forced them into the crime they committed.
    CC, I know about a felon getting their record sealed or expunged (there is a difference between the two). And yes, that is feasible after a certain amount of time has passed since the offense was comitted. Don't have a problem with that. Basically, you make your bed hard you lay in it hard. However, you brought up a couple of issues that when living in the enviroment you were raised in seems to be an unheard of premise. But, in the environment I was raised in is all too common. Peer pressure is very real and dangerous. Yes, I personally know of a 13 year old boy (at the time, he is now 37) who will be spending the rest of his life in prison. Why, because a very well known gang thru out the U.S. threaten to murder not only him, but his family as well if he didn't do the "hit" they needed him to do. Was he a member of this gang...no....was he an associate...yes. But, "gun" WAS pointed at his head for a lack of better words. This I swear to you is not a lie nor movie. This is real situations were I've grown up at. If you believe I'm exaggerating, ask anyone on this forum or whomever you may know that lives in Vegas about North Las Vegas or the Westside of Vegas. I PROMISE you they will tell you I'm being "light" in my description. Different environments effect people and the way their raised. Where your from, hunting has probably been passed down generation to generation. Where I'm from, gang banging and all that comes with it is being passed on from generation to generation. Not a sob story because I'm one of the few that found a seam and worked my way thru it (thank God) but not without some bumps on the road never the less. And to be unbiased, ALOT of these dudes deserve to be buried alive IMO. Because, they just don't get that life is precious...raising a family like a man should is priceless! They don't get that and hence do some very knavish things. These people I'm not concerned with. Because, their not concerned about me or you. It's the ones like you and I both have described. The ones that get the common sense idea that I messed up in life and need to change that. Those that step up to the plate with the count against them and still swing for the fence. These people deserve to be looked at as "whole" citizens in a society that's losing its moral common sense DAILY! So, it's ok for them to pay taxes and things of that nature. But, it's not ok for them to EARN the rights that they gave away back?! How is that just and fair? Aren't we living in a country that preaches equality, justice, and a fair shake in life (not saying I totally believe in this marketing scheme lol)? But, to some extent this is what this society thrives on. Life presents a different package for all of us. We don't know what the gift is gonna be until we open it. Some of us will like our presents....a lot of us won't. That's just life. Make the best of it. And if you should happen to break the gift that was handed to you. Well, it's my belief there is always a way to fix it if that's what a person truly wants. But, to wipe your hands clean of another human being based off of a screw up is no different IMO than a convicted felon who did the most evil of acts. Both of them gave no second thought to the lives they are effecting.
    Last edited by Backcountry Stalker; 01-09-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    HOYT SPYDER TURBO {70/27.5}
    A bonafide city boy...that calls the Backcountry his "hood!"

Thanks
    And I get what your saying CC about "convicted felons." But lets remember there's a certain monetary and shall we say popularity status that plays in getting a felony dropped down to a lesser offense. If you don't have either of the two. You end up with a public defender who will wash you so he/she can move on to their next case. Some "convicted felons" had NO choice but to take a felony charge because it was the best option in the plea bargain considering ALL the charges and time the courts were trying to stack on them. So my point includes these people as well....as "convicted felons."
    Last edited by Backcountry Stalker; 01-09-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    HOYT SPYDER TURBO {70/27.5}
    A bonafide city boy...that calls the Backcountry his "hood!"

Thanks
    I couldnt agree more. take for example buying alcohol for a minor is a felony, in my younger days i had older friends buy it for me and know several others that have bought for younger as well id rather not say if i have done such a favor to a younger friend or not but if so and caught that means no hunting for me? Thats just not right by no means!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    I find many people seriously lacking empathy these days. Also many people with the do anything wrong no matter how miniscule and their attitude is lock'em up and throw away the key forever! I'm quite certain most people have done something wrong, whether intentioned or not at some point in their life.

Good/great people do make mistakes, even if just once in their lives. ie, the 50yo guy who was busted at 18 for marijuana, the 19yo who hooks up with his hs girlf and becomes a sex offender/felon, white collar criminals, mind you martha stewart wasn't a felon for insider trading but rather lying to a fbi agent! which police officers are legally allowed to lie all they want to us, but the moment we lie to an fbi agent it becomes a felony?!?!

So sure if you think "lying to an fbi agent" should mean you can never own a gun/hunt/bowhunt in some states again in your life, then I'd have to say you're logic and empahty is lacking.

Life isn't black and white, it's grey.

Thanks
    i agree word for word hos. So many people get to thinking that they are better than someone else cuz they dont have something like a felony or dui or what have you on there record but the cold hard fact is alot of them have done the same thing (mainly talking about dui) but just never happen to get caught!!! case in point my buddy got a dui and lost his job his boss came to his house to get his company truck with a beer in his hand and said sucks for you!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    I'm with Backcountry on this one. I believe in second chances, especially when a lot of time has gone by without further incident.

I sure hope I have a lot more sense now than when I was a teenager. Marriage and family do a lot to instill common sense and moderation in a man. I would rather trust someone who screwed up 20 years ago and has been clean since than a teenager hooked on violent video games or thinks it takes alcohol to be a man.

Thanks
    I little bad luck can change your life. Just about everyone I knew when I was a teenager were breaking laws. Some got caught, some didn't. I have family members and friends that could have been felons if they were caught and are extremely good adults today. I walk a very sraight line as a 40+ year old man, I barely knew there was a line @ 16. There's nothing more important in life than good parents, IMO