Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Which One? Sitka? Kuiu? FirstLite? Core4Element?

So I've spent hours trying to decide which one would top the others and find myself no closer to deciding than when I started! I need some help from all you who have more experience with this gear than myself.

Deciding Factors:

1--I love spot and stalk hunting so; QUIET and FLEXIBLE are huge.
    2--I would prefer to wear one type of system for all seasons, so VERSATILITY.
    3--QUALITY to PRICE (which systems are the best bang for your buck?)
    4--Which companies are the most down to earth and easiest to work with?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Thanks
    I will tell you first lite merino wool makes a great base layer. Merino wool is great. I haven't heard the best of thing about their outer layers though. They say it rips easily,
    I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them. Sitka is high quality and so is kuiu. They don't stay in business by selling overpriced crap that's for sure.
    Do you have a store where you can go try this stuff on? That would be the best way.
    Last edited by Drhorsepower; 02-02-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks
    kuiu the end!!!!

Thanks
    I bought a pair of First Lite base layer's last year and love them. Not sure the pants would be the best for an early season hunt but later in the year when you need them for a little bit of warmth, they are great.

And when it comes to Sitka and Kuiu, I think the guy who started Sitka sold out the business and then started Kuiu so I'm guessing they are very similar? Maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    I spend all fall guiding and wear First Lite everyday, now with winter here I guide snowmobile trips and still wear First Lite everyday. Cant go wrong with it

Thanks
    yep the founder of kuiu sold sitka to gore cause his buisness was getting away from the core of backpack ultralight huntin
    (to much pressure to be mainstream whitetail stand hunting) imo. hes using the best of the best materials and sewing company just a notch above sitka in my opinion

Thanks
    I have the entire KUIU system except the rain gear. Not one ounce of regret. Wore it on a backcountry elk hunt around for 7 days this past fall and it performed great. Great stuff, you wont be disappointed in my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanks Fellas! Very helpful!

The biggest issue I have had with some of this gear is that it seems to be quiet in the store but when one of my hunters or another guide is wearing it and they brush up against a twig or some brush it is surprisingly loud IMO. Is this just the sacrifice that you make with quality material? I am definitely leaning more toward Kuiu because the company itself really impresses me, but I saw some of the videos of their stuff and it looks like their product is just as loud as some of the Sitka and Russell stuff I've been around.

Sounds like First Lite has taken the cake for base layers though! They seem like a great company and it's cool they are out of the great Gem State

Thanks
    Another good base layer company, my favorite is redram. It is a merino wool and is a sister company to icebreaker which is one of the original merino wool companies. I saw Costco was selling merino wool base layers the other day, I'm going to do more research though. It seems fairly cheap so I'm guessing it isn't 100% merino.

Thanks
    been in first lite for three seasons now, no regrets. hands down the best costomer service out there. Zero issues with their outer layers for me.