Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Nebraska

Thinking about a Nebraska Mule deer hunt DIY any help whold be nice Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For public land there is the forest near Chadron and in the sandhills. The public land areas here get hammered. I ended up getting hooked up by a friend and his family for private land in the central part of the state which often wouldnt be the case for a travelling hunter.

I did go to college with a guy whos family runs this http://www.oldakeroutfitting.com. He was an alright guy in school but no idea what they charge or what to expect in the hunting but my guess is not cheap.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Curious how your hunt went Tom. I am looking into this area too. Not for this season though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started hunting the Pine Ridge in 2002. There are plenty of hunters now and the really good mule deer are usually on prive property. I usually stay on Ft Robinson but I don't hunt on the Fort.
    Last year an irate construction worker from Ca shot my Grand Cherokee with me in the drivers seat and one of my brothers setting behind me. The bullet hit next to the glass in the lift gate. I thought the brother I was waiting on had shot a deer. I have noticed slob hunters gathering up there for years, just getting worse. I won't be going this year, not because of that. I will be hunting in Co.
    I have had more fun hunting in Ne than anywhere and some really good ones, just be careful.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You ever hunt Soldier Creek?? Looking at maps, it seems like there are less roads or no road access. I heard from another person that Fort Robinson gets hunted alot. The NF area southeast of Chadron or crawford (forget the name of town off the top of my head)....seems like a large area too. There is also a gilbert baker wildlife area. We just cant decide where exactly to hunt. More interested in mulies than whitetails.

We are not trophy hunting either. When we do this hunt, it will probably be just to hunt somewhere other than Wisconsin. As bad as people think western hunting pressure is, Wisconsin is 100 times worse. I once rifle hunted a 450 acre state park, showed up 1.5 hr before light, and there were 20 trucks there. 20 trucks, 450 acres. insane.

So we are looking for a November hunt thats close, relatively cheap, and with the chance to shoot some mulies to replace gun hunting in Wisconsin. So trophy potential isnt necessary. We are not the drive around types.......we love to get out, put on some miles, and hunt on foot. So areas with little road access dont bother us one bit.

any suggestions on specific areas to hunt in NE????? I have bought Forest Service Maps, so I have some detailed info there to show me spots.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ilovethewest; 08-15-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    not sure if you are aware of the huge fires in the pine ridge area. It seems the national news dosnt care to mention them. I have heard over 200,000 acres burned now. Im on the other end of the state so have not seen first hand, but its not good. The other bad news thing in Ne is EHD, its getting really bad over the whole state, killing deer by the thousands now. I have not heard any news about ehd from the pine ridge area and I beleive it is spreading through Ne from east to west so that would mean it may not be as bad in that area yet

Thanks
    Congratulations
    anyone hunting mule deer in Nebraska this fall? how is the population doing in the pine ridge area after the fires?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We archery antelope hunted in South Dakota just over the line and I saw some VERY nice deer on public, wish the season was open and I'd had a tag, never got to punch my pronghorn tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nebraska mule deer? You'll have a much better chance to fill a tag in Colorado or Wyoming.