Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado Unit 61 Archery Hunt

Was wondering if anyone here has archery hunted deer in 61. I have all the maps and have been on google earth for weeks looking it over. I am from MN and have called out there to a few sources. I would really like to be able to glass and do a spot stalk type hunt and am concerned that it is quite brushy from what I have heard. Does anyone know if there are better areas in the unit for open country glassing. I know alot of the deer early are up along the divide road, but was wondering about the possibility of any deer that stay down lower along the rivers/ farmland on blm land. I really enjoy more canyon country that is open for glassing. May just have to use my 7 points elsewhere, but I know there are nice deer in that unit and I want to bowhunt a unit that requires a few points so I don't waste them. Thanks in advance. If anyone has any other unit suggestions let me know.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    I've bowhunted it a few times....long ago when there were literally hundreds of deer sighting each day. The unit is comprised of aspen stands and pine trees.....inter-mixed with a few open sage/grass flats. Some areas have thicker stands of oak brush, where deer will also concentrate. It is not your typical long range glassing type terrain like above timberline hunts are. It can be, however, very conducive for still hunting and even tree-stand hunting. Some of the biggest bucks in the state come from this plateau.....I was on it two years ago and saw at least 4 bucks that would net over 180".......numerous in the 160-170" range.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer