Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    7 mag or 300 win
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    a 270 will drop either one. Just depends on what grain of bullet you like and if you load your own...If you buy ammo off the shelf, the 30-06 has more variety on ammo all the way up to 180 grains compared to the 270 at 150 grains. But like I said, if you load your own this won't be an issue. A 150 grain 270 will drop an elk, but some guys like heavier bullets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    270 will work just fine. I have several friends that shoot them. I prefer the 7mm mag myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like to have the ability to reach out across canyons if needed, so I shoot a .300 Weatherby. It has long range capability with plenty of knock down for anything in North America. How ever you can't buy ammo at your local walmart.

If your going to mainly hunt whitetails and the occasional trip out west 30.06 sounds like a good round for you. Good luck
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    I would definitely say the 30-06 is a great option widest variety of ammunition choices from small accelerator bullets,to standard and managed recoil loads. Probably the most universal gun you could buy will serve you well no matter what you hunt

Arizona's Mogollon Rim and White Mountains
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really like the 270 (note the username). It does fine on the elk I've taken as well as mule deer, whitetail and antelope, and also coyotes and other varmints. I hand load for mine, but there are a variety of loads available for it. I prefer the .270 over the .30-06 because it kicks less, is not as loud and the ammo is cheaper.
    The .30-06 is no doubt the standard by which all others are judged. It's the most versatile and available cartridge around. There is a huge variety of factory loads available for it, not to mention a galaxy of handloading possibilities.
    I see you're in LA, so I'm guessing elk won't be an every year hunt for you, mostly whitetail. When I lived and hunted elk in Colorado and New Mexico and now here in AZ, I've never found a need for magnum calibres to reach out at long ranges, I just get closer. They're certainly not needed for whitetail. I'd recommend the .270, or the .30-06 as a second choice, either would be fine. Or the 7mm-08 or similar would be good, too.
    For a rifle, I suggest the new Savages, or a Sako or Browning, Rugers are OK, too. There are lots of good quality rifles on the market for reasonable prices. Not sure what your conditions are in LA, haven't been there in several years and never hunted there. I think a quality scope can't hurt, no matter what your conditions are. I recommend a 3-9X, not golly-gee-whizbang, but it will do anything you need it to do, and at an economical price. Figure on paying as much or more for your scope sight as you do for your rifle. It's much better to put a top quality scope on a mediocre rifle than to put a cheap scope on a top quality rifle.
    Hope that helps.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities;…” -George W. “Nessmuk” Sears-

Thanks
    Congratulations
    .270win. is light for Elk IMO, deer/elk rifles, maybe 30-06 or 7mm Rem.Mag.

great elk rifles 300 and 338mags.

a perfect 100yd broadside shot vs. a 400yd 1/4 away shot at dusk, 2 different things.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    EdD270

Hey I appreciate the insight! You were very helpful. My two main concerns are 1. Weight (I dont want to pack a heavy rifle around the mountains) and 2. Power (I want to make a clean ethical shot and be able to shoot from distance, 300 yrds max)

My sister just moved to Longmont, CO and I'm expecting to make atleast one hunt a year, maybe more if I have the chance. Also, Im kinda set on the Browning X-bolt. I was raised on Brownings and they are buy far my favorite maunfacturer. Your thoughts....

Thanks again for all of your knowledge and any more advice is much welcomed.
    Last edited by jvidrine; 02-08-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    30-06. don't overlook winchster featherweight and remington mountain rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How about the reborn 30-30 thanks to Hornady Levelution ammo. Bullets are available for reloading finally.