Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Points only?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Points only?

I'm not sure if I'm reading my MRS right with the combination of new dates this year and the changes Montana made last year but; if there a points only option for Montana elk this year? I've got a point from 2 years ago and I know I'll loose it if I don't apply this year, but I know I won't be hunting there this year or next. If I can get a point by not forking over the $800 and turning it back in if I draw and loosing out on %20 of that, I'd like to know.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As best I can tell, you are going to get screwed over and not be able to get all your money back. I would love to build an elk and deer limited permit point this year too but like you, I just can't figure out how to do it and get all your money back. I called them and the guy basically said that you will end up paying almost $200 or so for that elk point. Sucks...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So on page 77 of the Feb/March MRS talks about purchasing a preference point for those who didn't apply for a nonresident big game license between July 1 and Sept. 30. To me, it looks like I can buy a preference point but not a limited quote bonus point?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky1 View Post
    So on page 77 of the Feb/March MRS talks about purchasing a preference point for those who didn't apply for a nonresident big game license between July 1 and Sept. 30. To me, it looks like I can buy a preference point but not a limited quote bonus point?
    I don't have the magazine in front of me but sounds like they may be talking about being able to buy points for wyoming I am fairly certain you can't buy just a point of any kind for Montana

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, I believe that you are correct. Montana changed their system for drawing general tags this year. It will be interesting to see if you actually need any points to draw the general tag since their were leftover tags last year. And to get a limited quota point, you first need to have a general tag. What a convoluted system.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm wondering if it's even worth the $$$ for the average guy to buy the preference point if a guy can't buy a limited bonus point if you don't try for the general tag first. If a guy is only looking to keep/build their points up for the limited areas, then you lose out on $200 turning your tag back in every year if you're not looking to hunt the general hunt. Think I may pass on them now. Anybody else out there have a view on this or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm wondering if it's even worth the $$$ for the average guy to buy the preference point if a guy can't buy a limited bonus point if you don't try for the general tag first. If a guy is only looking to keep/build their points up for the limited areas, then you lose out on $200 turning your tag back in every year if you're not looking to hunt the general hunt. Think I may pass on them now. Anybody else out there have a view on this or am I looking at it wrong?
    Im in the same boat with you. $200 is way too much for ONE point. The only way I would do it is if I wanted to deer hunt in MT and keep the deer tag but turn in the elk tag. Otherwise I just can't justify it. I would say to build points in other states instead... Or maybe take that money and try for a moose, mountain goat or sheep tag in Idaho. I would rather spend $150 and roll the dice on that instead.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was going to buy a point for the Big game combo after July 1st I believe the date is, and not put in for the general draw. Does this mean I can not buy a point for sheep because I have to put in for the draw for it since it is a special permitt?

Montanas system is a little confusing I have read the MRS section of the last issue at least 3 times and it seems like the Montana system is a little difficult to understand.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think to get a sheep point you have to apply for sheep.

I've been studying it and am in the same boat as the rest of you. I don't want a general tag, I'm not going to buy one and risk the long odds of the limited entry unit I want for elk.

I'll apply for sheep and goats and buy supertags and hope they shuffle their system again next year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    there is now a points only period, after july 1st as someone else stated.

agreed on how stupid it is if you want to draw a special tag only and not a general tag at all and if you fail to draw the special tag you'll have to give up 20% to do so.

at least this year you can apply as one, vs. first drawing the general then applying for the special, but they definitely need to correct the 20% refund deal with special tags, although I wonder if they will, since if people are willing, why would they?

Personally I'd like to get rid of all general tags altogether, general tags should become regional, or unit specific.
    Last edited by HuskyMusky; 02-29-2012 at 05:55 PM.