Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Pack?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which Pack?

I'm looking for a hunting pack to hold my Bow, tent, bag, pad, food, etc... and can haul out some meat if needed for a weekend long trip say 1-3 days in Colorado High Country. Which pack would work best? Am looking at Blacks Creek G11, Barbarian Featherlite, or the Eberlestock Blue Widow. Anyone have any thoughts on these packs? Am strictly bow hunting so don't need a gun pack and don't have a ton of money to be spending, $350 max. Any info or thought would be great!!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was in the same boat recently, that is until I swung into the local Sportsmans Show and tried out the Wilderness Pack Specialties Bighorn pack. I was thinking something along the lines of a Sitka Bivy 30; something in the 3,000+ cubic inch range, that could haul 3-4 days wroth of gear. I was sold on the Bighorn pack due to walking around with the compact frame with 100lbs of sandbags in it. I bought one on the spot. The pack itself offers perfect pocket placement, 3,000 cubic inches of compartments, and plenty of lashing points. Plus, I can get a 1,400 cubic inch add-on later. This pack is my first external, and weighs slightly more than most packs, but that is not an issue, cause 50lbs in the thing feels like 20. Sorry if I sound a bit preachy about my new pack, but it rocks! The pack should be in the $300 range and is 100% American made, gotta love that!

P.S. the reason I stopped to try the pack out was a head-to-head competition between my neighbor (who had a Wilderness Pack Specialties pack) and my Badlands 4500. We hammered 3 miles of nasty terrain, each carrying 60 pounds, and I was amazed at how his pack handled compared to my 4500. Granted, the 4500 has been an outstanding pack in itself!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the J107 Dragonfly and have no real complaints other than the floppy fanny pack on top. I don't see how you can go wrong with the blue widow but the BC packs are intriguing to me as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Its definitely hard makeing the choice of a new pack,IMO, I'm in the same boat rite now. I've been reading reviews and watching youtube reviews, trying to narrow it down. From my research it seems like there's good and bad to say about almost every pack, I've narrowed it down to the Eberlestock J107 dragonfly beacuse I like how the pack holds the gun,and all the other great features. I bow hunt as well and that's no problem with adding the bow bucket. But if you bow hunt only I go with the Blue Widow, you can always add attachments for longer hunts if needed. Good luck on your decision.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    Eberlestock.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I agree Eberlestock is tough to beat in the sub-$300 arena.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 1 Post
    I know everyone has an opinion and I do know that the ones above are great packs. One thing to consider though is that you WILL need a pack that opens up to 5000 ci + to fit gear and a boned out deer in it with stuff strapped on the outside unless you're into making two trips...

I have successfully used a Badlands 4500 for 4 years in a row now in the Colorado High Country packed down with meat, cape, horns and gear... Not fun and kills the knees but it does work... I usually strap a 2800 on the outside of it to day hunt from camp with and the extra space comes in handy for small items strapped to the pack...
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylight View Post
    I know everyone has an opinion and I do know that the ones above are great packs. One thing to consider though is that you WILL need a pack that opens up to 5000 ci + to fit gear and a boned out deer in it with stuff strapped on the outside unless you're into making two trips...

I have successfully used a Badlands 4500 for 4 years in a row now in the Colorado High Country packed down with meat, cape, horns and gear... Not fun and kills the knees but it does work... I usually strap a 2800 on the outside of it to day hunt from camp with and the extra space comes in handy for small items strapped to the pack...
    How did you fit all your gear and a whole mule deer into a 4500?

Here is a pick of TWO 4500's with 3 days worth of gear and one whole blacktail (minus cape).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pack.jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Look at the new Mystery Ranch Big Horn...I believe you can get it for $290...and has plenty of room to do what you need..i got to play with one a few weeks ago...it was designed with bowhunters in mind.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Eberlestock or Mystery Ranch.