Thread: OTC units

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

OTC units

Just wondering if anyone has any info on hunting unit 65 in colorado. Im looking to do a solo backcountry archery elk/mule deer hunt this fall. I currently have 2 points for deer, will i need to use them to draw that unit? i have heard that there are a lot of roads is there anywhere in that unit to get me away from the people. im young and in shape looking to get as many miles in as it takes to avoid other hunters. or any input on another unit to focus my attention on to get into some elk and well into the back county being from WI i am not too familiar with the state. i choose unit 65 bc i have archery hunted there in 04'05'06' and 07' but always from a base camp and there seemed to be a lot of roads networking the unit. i killed three bulls in four years but would like to get into the highcountry and further from the road hunters Thanks AJ

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have any current info on 65. I haven't hunted there since 2004. Some of the guys I went with still hunt there and I think you still need one or two points to draw a deer tag. I don't have a map in front of me but if I remember right you should be able to get away from the roads up in the Cimeron. I'll see if I can find my maps and dig up some more info for you. Good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    Go to the Colorado DOW site and click on the big game tab. Once you are on the big game page there is a link on the left hand side titled "Statistics". That will give you preference points required s well as success rates for every hunt and unit in Colorado. If 65 is part of the Gunnison Basin herd call a wildlife biologist before you burn points. That area suffered severe winter kill a few years ago.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Like In God We Trust said, that area was hit pretty hard with winter kill. I have not personally hunted that unit, but had a friend that did. He said there were plenty of elk, but there where very few deer. The deer that he did see were all smaller and not worth burning up points over. Who knows, the winters have been a little milder the past few years. The deer definetly could be on the comeback. I would look up the area biologist for that unit and see what he thinks. Good luck!