Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

First time heading in back country

What are some good products and what are some good things to always pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome switchbackkd,

There are a multitude of good to very good backpack friendly-back country tools of the trade available. Because I hunt solo quite a bit, I'm always prepared to stay the night away from camp if something goes sideways. Space blanket, fire starter, plastic trash bag and basic first aid kit are always with me. If you are forced to spend the night on the mountain away from your base camp for any reason, keeping warm and dry can mean the difference between making it or not. (depending on the time of year)

There are a lot of hard core backpack/backcountry hunters here at Eastmans that can help you fine tune your list........good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I recently ventured into this type of hunting. I would suggest takeing baby steps. A few weekend trips for scouting maybe (that is what I did) or a backpack turkey hunt (did that as well) before you dive into some long backpack trip.

It will help fine tune the gear that you need, don't need, and help you learn along the way. As everyone says, "lighter is better"...It is still said today because that is the truth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are a million products out on the market aimed at weight concious backpack hunters (or hikers), and a lot of personal preference goes into your own particular setup. This is a great place to start, with interesting and straight forward information contained in a variety of threads. Go back into the back-log of topics in this backcountry module of the forum, and you will find a lot of good ideas as far as well recieved and tested gear. One thing I might suggest is bringing along a small notepad or journal to keep tabs on things you need, want, or could improve on as your backcountry experience grows and becomes more finely-tuned. I like the pocket sized "Rite in the Rain" note-pads; they are small and light enough to fit just about anywhere, and have water-resistant paper. It is always nice to look back at your notes from hunts, and realize that you not only walked away with lifelong memories, but lessons that can make you a better and more prepared backcountry hunter. Take your note-pad with you scouting, shed-hunting, and when you shop for next years gear, and you will eventually have your own "backcountry guide," with tons of experiences and information to pass on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One important backcountry item is a game plan.
    How will you process and transport your game out of the wilderness.
    Safety isusses should be your next biggest concern. ie. am I prepared for certain very possible senarios.
    My last piece of advice would be, you generally get what you pay for. When your success depends on it, Buy Quality.

Some items i've really enjoyed are Marrmot Pinnacle 15 degree bag

Eberlestock j107 pack

Klymit ultralite pad (packs very small)

Big Agnes UL1 tent

MRS stove

I can do 5 days for about 40 lbs. Hope this helps. Good Luck

Don't forget a good camera

The magazines do great gear reviews, it's an excelent place to start.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    another thing to consider is your budget. Lighter generally means more expensive and you can spend quite a bit of change trying to outfit yourself with all of the best gear for the back country

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Boy View Post
    another thing to consider is your budget. Lighter generally means more expensive and you can spend quite a bit of change trying to outfit yourself with all of the best gear for the back country
    Agreed

Backpacker magazine has a bunch of info on gear. Most of my hunting gear comes from rei compared to sporting goods stores!