Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

A Lighter Weight MR NICE Frame Pack Concept

I'm researching some packs. I really like how lightweight the Kifaru UL 3700 & 5200 are, but I am worried about the durability. I love the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab's design and versatility, but it is rather heavy weighing at 7 lbs 11 oz. Kuiu also has good design, but is not going to fit my 28" waist.

I'm about to buy the Mystery Ranch Nice Frame & Load Sling combination, which weighs in at 5 lbs 3 oz. Then I'm going to use a Sea-to-Summit Small Ultra-Sil Pack Liner (3,000 cu in/2.6 oz.), Large Ultra-Sil Stuff Sack (960 cu in/1 oz), and a Medium Ultra-Sil Pack Cover (4 oz). The pack will weigh a total of 5 lbs 10.6 oz with about 4,000 cubic inches of storage space inside my stuff sacks and room to strap down my tripod, hydration bladder, and other misc. items. This set-up keeps the weight below many other popular hunting packs on the market.

The MR Load Sling will make it very easy to train with during the off-season. I plan on buying a heavy duty 5-gallon water jug or jerrycan to fill with sand, which should weigh somewhere between 50 and 80 lbs. The jerrycan will quickly and easily strap in and out of the load sling for training.

Does this set-up sound like an effective and somewhat lightweight set-up and concept for extended backpacking trips?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Money.... I did something similar with another pack. I actually have 4 color coordinated stuff sacks. Each sack is 1.8-4ozs. Water proof and the color helps my organization.

I say do it... Great idea.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The pack should only cost $315 plus shipping, which is not too different from the Blue Widow. So, it is not a super expensive pack. I will end up spending less than $500 on the pack and its accessories.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You will like the comfort of the NIce system...do it...I have the whole Crew CAb...have to say..the extra 1 1/2 lbs that I have it not that bad!

Thanks
    Congratulations

Update 2-26-12

I just received my Mystery Ranch Nice Frame with the Load Sling. My first impression of it is that it does not feel quite as comfortable as my Badlands 4500, but has a perfect fit. I'm 6'1", 158 LBS, 28" waist, and an 18.5" to 19" torso length. I got the Nice Frame with the XS waist belt and Medium yoke. The fit is perfect for me and allows the load lifters to function effectively by giving enough of an angle to pull and secure the load to my back.

The next amazing thing about this pack is the versatility. It can do anything and everything, because of the infinite ways you can customize. You can literally set it up for use as a day-pack one day and then switch it up for a week long backcountry hunt. I even attached a thing to it to carry my 20 month old daughter in it easily and comfortably (as in comfortable for the both of us).

I have not had an opportunity to throw a heavy load in it yet to find its maximum comfortable capacity. However, I will be testing that soon enough and will provide an update on its performance.

Thank You,

Thanks
    Congratulations
    that is funny...I have pics of my son at 3 years old in mine...he is too big now...he still fits..just not as comfortable for him now

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I purchased a Mystry ranch 5600 with a Nice frame a few years back for a Dall sheep hunt. I noticed right away on the hunt that every one else was taking their packs off every chance they got. I did not feel the need for it. When it really shines is when you got that 100+ lbs. pack on. Comfort is everything. I have now packed Sheep and elk with it. I highly recommend it. I think you will too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome to Eastmans Forum, Montana,Elk!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Haisen View Post
    I just received my Mystery Ranch Nice Frame with the Load Sling. My first impression of it is that it does not feel quite as comfortable as my Badlands 4500, but has a perfect fit. I'm 6'1", 158 LBS, 28" waist, and an 18.5" to 19" torso length. I got the Nice Frame with the XS waist belt and Medium yoke. The fit is perfect for me and allows the load lifters to function effectively by giving enough of an angle to pull and secure the load to my back.

The next amazing thing about this pack is the versatility. It can do anything and everything, because of the infinite ways you can customize. You can literally set it up for use as a day-pack one day and then switch it up for a week long backcountry hunt. I even attached a thing to it to carry my 20 month old daughter in it easily and comfortably (as in comfortable for the both of us).

I have not had an opportunity to throw a heavy load in it yet to find its maximum comfortable capacity. However, I will be testing that soon enough and will provide an update on its performance.

Thank You,
    What setup do you have for your kid. That could be the money ticket for me to convince my wife I need one!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You could okie rig something like this

60lbs off season conditioning, fun for the family and comfortable for all. A tie down and camping chair is all it takes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0031.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	2823

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post: