Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Water Purifiers?

I have been looking at water purifiers trying to make the decision on which one to get for back country hunting.I was thinking the "Sawyer" brand, they are really light weight and seem to fit the criteria for backcountry purification.

What do you guys use, and recommendations?
    Last edited by Muleys 24/7; 02-11-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm not saying it's the answer because I am skeptical too. Mainly because of the price. But last year I used the Aqua Mira Frontier Pro and it was awesome... Combined with the Platypus water bag the combined weight was 7 ozs (or something crazy like that). I didn't get sick and I can only say so far so GREAT!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    I'm not saying it's the answer because I am skeptical too. Mainly because of the price. But last year I used the Aqua Mira Frontier Pro and it was awesome... Combined with the Platypus water bag the combined weight was 7 ozs (or something crazy like that). I didn't get sick and I can only say so far so GREAT!!
    That dose sound good I'll check them out, if I'm not mistaken I belive the swayer brand has one that weighs 3oz.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the Sawyer squeeze filter. Works great for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use a 3.5 ounce Steripen Adventurer Opti. Throw in an extra ounce for the prefilter that screws on the Nalgene. You save a lot of weight just in the amount of water you have to pack. It worked exceptionally well for me last year.

http://www.steripen.com/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I use the MSR. I can't remember the model but it has a red top with a Handel type pump. It works awesome! Just keep in mind that if your hunting late season to make sure you clear out ALL of the water. Mine cracked when the water froze because I didn't take proper care of it. I picked up another to replace the broken one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll start checking them out.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I use a 3.5 ounce Steripen Adventurer Opti. Throw in an extra ounce for the prefilter that screws on the Nalgene. You save a lot of weight just in the amount of water you have to pack. It worked exceptionally well for me last year.

http://www.steripen.com/
    The Steripen is a cool rig. I've been using a Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Filter. 11 ounce. Instead of Nalgene which I used for years, I pump the filtered water in lighter store bought water bottles from a tip from David Long's book to save a couple more ounces from my Nalgene bottle weight.

3.5 oz with an extra oz for the prefilter is so much lighter. I read you need 1.75 inch dia opening, 1 liter or less volume for Steripen. BB is your Nalgene standard or have they come out with something lighter now? I'm thinking my store bought cheapo but lightweight bottles are shy from the 1.75" dia. opening I'd need.
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 02-14-2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    The Steripen is a cool rig. I've been using a Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Filter. 11 ounce. Instead of Nalgene which I used for years, I pump the filtered water in lighter store bought water bottles from a tip from David Long's book to save a couple more ounces from my Nalgene bottle weight.

3.5 oz with an extra oz for the prefilter is so much lighter. I read you need 1.75 inch dia opening, 1 liter or less volume for Steripen. BB is your Nalgene standard or have they come out with something lighter now? I'm thinking my store bought cheapo but lightweight bottles are shy from the 1.75" dia. opening I'd need.
    You are right Kevin, big mouth bottles only. Nalgenes aren't too heavy anyway. The real weight savings is in not having to pack so much heavy water around. When your Nalgene gets low on water, just stop at the next trickle of water and fill up!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    You are right Kevin, big mouth bottles only. Nalgenes aren't too heavy anyway. The real weight savings is in not having to pack so much heavy water around. When your Nalgene gets low on water, just stop at the next trickle of water and fill up!
    Thanks Bitteroot Bulls, it's been hard for me to give up my ol Nalgenes and I'm not big on the bladders other than for storage at camp where there is not much water. The wide mouth Nalgenes I have are 3.5 oz. I have not weighed the store bought but I tried it last year. I saw Nalgene has a bag version with big mouth and it is a bit lighter but it does not look as durable.

Thanks for the Steripen review Bitterroot Bulls. It looks like a nice rig.