Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Pro Hiker by Katadyn

Thanks
    Anyone use iodine or aquamira tablets?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    Anyone use iodine or aquamira tablets?
    There is also the Aquamira drops using chlorine dioxide, very similar to the tablets. Chlorine dioxide is iodine and chlorine free. Chlorine dioxide is a significantly stronger oxidant than iodine, with greater pathogen killing power. Unlike iodine, chlorine dioxide does not discolor water, nor does it give water an unpleasant taste.

I've yet to try it but I've been wanting to. I've just been using my filter but that's a light way. I did try the iodine years ago but did not like the taste much.

Thanks
    One thing to remember is chlorine and iodine are not as effective as either UV sterilization or proper filtering. I carry chlorine tablets as a low-weight backup to the Steripen.

Thanks
    If you guys are looking for lighter weight storage bottles check out the Platypus Soft Bottles. Super light weight, very compact when empty, don't make as much noise as a store bottle and I was told you can run over them with a car when filled.( i.e. my friend is an idiot) Good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsmallfield View Post
    If you guys are looking for lighter weight storage bottles check out the Platypus Soft Bottles. Super light weight, very compact when empty, don't make as much noise as a store bottle and I was told you can run over them with a car when filled.( i.e. my friend is an idiot) Good luck!
    Weight looks good, .9 oz for a liter. 3.5 oz for my old Nalgene wide mouth. Opening looks like it is a bit small for the Steripen, unless I'm missing it. It needs at least 1.75". I think I'll make a trip to check them out this weekend though at the REI near me. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks
    Bitterroot: I second what you have said. I love the Steripen, its compact and lightweight. Also by taking chlorine tablets as back-ups, my Steripen batteries can become backup batteries for my GPS, flashlights, etc in a jam.

Thanks
    I prefer the steripen, lightweight. store bought bottles make a lot of noise when expanding and contracting, tablets are a good backup but have a long contact time to be safe.

Thanks
    Katadyn Pocket Filter - its bullet proof! Not really, but it is tough and I have seen plastic handle filters break in the backcountry. Once upon a time I carried water in Nalgene bottles. I will still carry water in bottles if I need it to get through a dry area, but for a long time now I use the 3L camelback which will usually get me through the day and, because it is so accessible, I think you stay better hydrated. I also carry the Sigg stainless steel wide mouth bottles now. They handle hot water better, no chemical leaching, and can be used to thaw frozen boots should that become necessary.

Thanks
    MRS MiniWorks EX and a steri pen. The MRS screws on top of the large mouth water bottle or the inlet to the platypus bag in the pack. Works good and occasionally have to clean the filter if you have a lot of sediment. It filters out Cryptosporidium which has been critical in the areas we hunted due to the cattle that were run in the basin. No waiting, but you have to pump a little and spend about 15-20 minutes to make a days worth of water including camp water.

I have a steri pen but just couldn't trust it on my last hunt. I was afraid I'd get the squirts in the middle of my hunt and wanted to try it closer to home. I carried it for light weight purification in my day pack, encase I needed it. You fellows who used it, do you feel that it does the job, it would be nice? We use UV light at most water treatment plants. I haven't heard any negative comments in my inquiries. Probably give it a try next time, especially if there are no cattle.

I also carry a little purification straw i got at Dicks or Gander MT. Weighs like a feather. I put it into my emergency kit as a final back up should things go wrong.

I've had Giardia before on a trip to Mexico. Not pleasant.