Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    You can also just buy points.

Nevada, Utah and Arizona are my old guy buying points hunting license program.

I buy now in hopes that I'll be able to kill a 92 antelope, 400 bull, and 200 mule deer when I am in my 60s, and more than anything a desert bighorn sheep.

Thanks
    Just remember you WILL loose your points if you draw a tag no matter what choice it is. Kinda wish they would change this and go through all 1st choices first. seems like it would make drawing odds alot better.

Banned
    Thanks
    Musket, yes that is what the points system is all about. That's what keeps it fair.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Musket, yes that is what the points system is all about. That's what keeps it fair.
    t draw

Yes but its also not really fair that someone can draw their fifth choice before the next guy draws his first choice. I would put a hunt thats easy to draw as my 2nd or lower choice if I could keep my points if I didnt draw my first choice. But really im glad different states have different systems. It keeps it alot more interesting

Banned
    Thanks
    In Washington do you have to have 5 choices? Can you just apply for 2?

Thanks
    You dont have to put all 5 in NV. Im not sure about WA? I only been here a few years and from what I have seen the limited quota tags really arent worth the long line to get them. With the exception of some spike elk only units they are basically all later hunts ontop of otc general hunts.

Thanks
    This point thing in Nevada can get very frustrating. As an example, I've got 7 points now and I want a great hunt area for my money. Each point has cost me around $155. I do not want to put in for a lessor hunt with this much invested in the tag. Last year I put in for all 5 choices and thought for sure I'd draw something, but did not. There is no guaranty as to when you'll get a tag. It sucks! On the other hand, I drew a California bighorn tag on my 2nd try! Nevada is always a crap shoot.

Moose
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Moose no dout we all can feel your frustration even as res. with that said that is why if you draw a Nv tag you will be in a great managed state for trophy quality. Look closely at the draw odds and hunter info sheets on the NDOW web site. Look for 4 points or better on the info sheets to find we're the better bucks are. Also call the biologist in an area you are interested in and get more detailed info on the area. You have put alot of cash into Nv so use the biologist to get some REAL eyes to that have been in the area, kind of a pre scout before you scout yourself if you get the tag. You pay these guys salary so talk to them. It is a crap shoot but I think with the work you have already done you will be happy with the investment when you get the tag. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Ikeepitcold....I appreciate your comments. I lived in Reno for 17 years and I do have a pretty good idea on which units to put in for. I've spent quite a bit of time out in the field and I have my favorite spots and have a good idea on where I'd like to hunt. The frustrating part is not knowing when you will get drawn.

Moose
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmoose View Post
    Ikeepitcold....I appreciate your comments. I lived in Reno for 17 years and I do have a pretty good idea on which units to put in for. I've spent quite a bit of time out in the field and I have my favorite spots and have a good idea on where I'd like to hunt. The frustrating part is not knowing when you will get drawn.

Moose
    I'm sorry you spent that long here! Lol. Just kidding...... Kinda. I grew up here for the most part and this town sucks now as far as politics, economy, and I am looking to leave, I want to raise my family in a more healthier environment. Where did you move to?