Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I used Danner Jackal II last year, they were on sale for $120. Some people had problems with the boot leaking but mine never did. I plan on using them again this next year. It is a very lightweight boot, IMO.(but my boot experience is limited)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    I love Danners.
    I make it in to the factory store every chance I get.
    I tried the Pathfinder GTX last year. (they look pretty comparable)

For me they just didn't cut it. They are pretty much a waterproof high top sneaker.
    It is lightweight, and it didn't leak, but it just wouldn't stay laced no matter what I tried.
    I recently purchased another pair of Pronghorns. They are heavier but they last several seasons and are extremely comfortable.

I still take the lightweight Pathfinders if my feet are aching and I'm on a short afternoon hunt in Elk Camp.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations

Lightweight Hunting Boots?

I love Zamberlans lightweight backpacking boots. They can be pricey but I've never had a problem with my feet being sore or uncomfortable. They provide a ton of support and feel great on long trips.
    Last edited by JWM; 02-24-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I do things a little different and most wouldn't agree with me. I used to work out year round 6 days a week, lift in the morning and run at night to get ready for elk season. I would buy the best pair of running shoes I could find a couple months before hunting season and wear them training and while hunting. I always take a couple pair of boots (meindl) if I end up packing heavy loads. I still prefer to hunt in light weight running shoes or hiking shoes. I love my meindls and haven't ever had a blister but they are heavy. I always feel better at the end of the day with less weight on my feet. I like to think I can go farther with less effort. I started out this year in WY in the meindls but was having slippage issues on the slopes in the Bighorns due to the snow and rain. After a gashed shin on a rock I switched to some merrell low hiking boots with vibram soles and got along great. I did wear gaiters to stay dryer. Being 55 years old I didn't think the ankles would still handle the low shoes but I was fine. I actually wore them packing meat out this year with no problems. My brother in law used to do the same years ago when we hunted Colorado at high altitude. They work for me but might not for you.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    Another vote for the Salomon's I have the Quest 4d GTX's, a step down from the cosmics. They are awesome! I have had great luck with them.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/quest-4d-gtx.html
    I have used Danners for the better part of 15 years (USMC), and have been generally pleased.

I am extremely interested in the Salomon Quest 4D GTX though. My main concern is in the fit. I typically like "wide" boots, but Salomon does not offer this in "wide". Anyone have a fit assessment for widths?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I picked up a pair of Hanwag Banks boots and wore them a bit during this last spring turkey season. Kind of a cross between a hiking boot and a true hunting boot (a lot more substantial than something like a Merrel Moab or Keen Targhee, but still on the light side). Very comfortable. Sierra was clearancing them and a few similar models. Watch the sizing (they are sized in UK sizes, but I only went down a half size and they're perfect -- standard advise is to go down a full size for UK, I believe).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've had good luck with Danner Pronghorn for about a year. I don't know if its my feet or the rocky country I hunt, but after a year of hunting the boots kill my feet when wearing them so I've been looking into the Danner Ridgemaster, it is suppose to be like the Pronghorn, but made in Portland. Anyone try these yet?

I bought a pair of the Cabelas Meindls and wore them for two years and either they never broke in or they just didn't get along with my feet because after a few hours my feet were aching horribly. The only reason I stuck with them so long is because they had good ankle support and it never felt like I was going to twist an ankle.

newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just got some Kenetrek Bridger Ridge. My feet are wider than most and a lot of shoes pinch, but these seem to fit great. Looking forward to trying them out this weekend.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    RokToy17- I just joined the forum and have been reading though threads of interest. I own the Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots. I have a fairly narrow foot and they fit great. I am not sure how they would work on a wider foot. My experience with the boot is they are the best backpacking boot I have ever owned. Last elk season put over 80 miles on them and still use them everyday for work for over a year now. Super comfortable and and a great backpacking boot platform.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Under Armor Brow Tines, for archery season. I have taken them to check my trail cams a few times and they have been great so far. Light and still 8" tall. Lots of tread and so far plenty of cushion.