Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Well this isn't my first job, but it was my first on a Savage. They are quirky with the barrel nut, recoil lug tab and voids, etc. I only use Devcon Steel Epoxy Putty (10110). It is the bees knees. JB Weld steel and Marine Tex work too, but I think Devcon is the best. Acraglas acra-sucks, IMO.
    I will have to try that devcon. I have used 3-4 different compounds now and I have found acraglass to be the best so far so interesting you don't like it. That must devcon must be the cats meow. P.s. after reading my post, I think it sounded like I insinuated this is your first bedding job, I did not mean it that way! Looking at your post made think back is all. Sorry about that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    DrH,

Have you used any steel epoxy compounds like those I listed? What filler do you use with Acraglas? I have never seen Acraglas set up like iron. It always seems to have some flex after curing. Devcon is much closer to steel. It can be drilled, tapped, and milled. It is good stuff. The putty version also goes in at just the right consistency, like warm peanut butter, so it isn't dripping everywhere, and it is easier to get the voids out. The squeeze-out is easier to remove, as well. Try it, you can find it by googling Devcon 10110, that is the stock number for the putty version. They also make a liquid version, but I don't like it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use brownells floc. I agree it could be a little harder, I have set this topic to my favorites list so next time I can remember to buy some devcon because I am going to give that stuff a whirl. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitterroot Bulls, I want to get a replacement stock for my son's Savage .243 Youth. I got it for him when he was 9, now he is 14 and almost 6', the stock is a little short for him. Anyway, thanks for the plug for Stocky's Stocks. I assume you recommend the medalist for that gun as well? I don't think anything but the stock was different on the "Youth" model. It was one of, if not THE first year they had the Accu Trigger on the "Youth Combo".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sweet rifle. Bet it will shoot as good as it looks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Bitterroot Bulls, I want to get a replacement stock for my son's Savage .243 Youth. I got it for him when he was 9, now he is 14 and almost 6', the stock is a little short for him. Anyway, thanks for the plug for Stocky's Stocks. I assume you recommend the medalist for that gun as well? I don't think anything but the stock was different on the "Youth" model. It was one of, if not THE first year they had the Accu Trigger on the "Youth Combo".
    Is it a short action? It probably is, but I know some Savages had short action cartridges chambered in the long action. It also has to be a stagger feed magazine, and not centerfeed. You can tell by removing the action from the stock. If the magazine is attached to the action, it is a staggerfeed. If the magazine is attached to the stock, centerfeed.

If it is a short action staggerfeed, you can get a Bell and Carlson Medialist, and it should bolt up. The accutrigger may require some minor fitting by sanding a little stock material at the back of the trigger.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks BB. I will check it out. I have also been thinking about usig the action and building him a new rifle, kind of a project together. We'll see.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice looking rig !! you did a fine job on it!