Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

A different kind of sheep hunt ... Black Hawaiian on the Big Island of Hawaii

I had the opportunity to do a little hunting prior to a meeting here on the Big Island of Hawaii. I hunted with Pat Fisher again who offers hunts for Spanish goat, Black Hawaiian Sheep, wild boar, axis deer, mouflon sheep, and Vancouver bulls, as well as, turkeys and upland game birds across the Hawaiian Islands. Last summer I hunted a Spanish goat and had a blast!

We hunted two different areas of the 25,000 acre horse and cattle ranch. It was interesting how the sheep didn't roam over the entire ranch area. They had areas that they preferred and stayed in those general locations. The first area was very dense trees. We saw plenty of sheep in these forests but not the right one. The second area was more of a rolling open plains type of area with long shots possible.

I took my sheep in the second area as we found him alone under a shade tree during the middle part of the day. Most of the sheep were in flocks consisting of family groups with immature up and comers in with the family flocks. We found bachelor rams of 2-5 sheep throughout the day. We saw probably close to 300 sheep throughout the day. We certainly saw rams that were longer than the one I shot, but still needed another year or two before reaching the proper age. Once we found this guy off by himself, he was an instant ram meeting the criteria I had set. I didn't really care about the length of the horns, but I wanted an old mature ram above anything else. You'll notice he had already lost one of his front teeth.

Black Hawaiian Ram

Last edited by graybird; 02-15-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    Vegetarian = old Indian word for Bad hunter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    That's great, congrats! What a cool looking ram and what an amazing place to hunt!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ElkTrout For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Looks like a really fun hunt graybird. Congrats. I wish I would have done that hunt when I was there in 2007.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sjsmallfield For This Useful Post: