Thread: wyoming unit 11

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

wyoming unit 11

Looks like I have enough points to draw unit 11 elk. My main focus would be on archary hunting, rifle only if I have to. I have heard that unit 11 has bulls of close to the same quality as unit 7 any thoughts? Whats the hunting pressure during the archary season. vs unit 7. Any help on unit 11 wouldbe appreciatied

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    Looks like I have enough points to draw unit 11 elk. My main focus would be on archary hunting, rifle only if I have to. I have heard that unit 11 has bulls of close to the same quality as unit 7 any thoughts? Whats the hunting pressure during the archary season. vs unit 7. Any help on unit 11 wouldbe appreciatied
    Unit 11 is a lot smaller than 7. By a lot I mean A LOOOOOOOT smaller! Also, I would say the bulls are not of the same quality on the top end. 7 will crank out a few high 300s bulls a year, but you don't hear of them out of 11. Since 11 is sandwiched between two general areas, I'd say the quality of bulls is about the same. A good bull gets killed once in a while, but not often. It's also heavily timbered. But there's plenty of elk. If you put in your time there, you will encounter elk regularly. If your trophy expectations are lofty, look elsewhere. Archery would be a good hunt there if you like playing cat and mouse with the elk and you're not picky.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You could always apply for an area you wouldn't draw. Use your second choice as a 11 type 4 (cow tag). Then you could hunt elk and see if it's worth your time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    You could always apply for an area you wouldn't draw. Use your second choice as a 11 type 4 (cow tag). Then you could hunt elk and see if it's worth your time.
    Yeah ssliger, Spike could put in for area #100 type 1 as his first choice. About a zero chance of drawing that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Area 11 you will not have much pressure during bow season. I am a resident and did what sliger was saying.. put in for what I wanted and second choice was a type 4... Learned the area a couple years in a row... with the help of some people and my experience, my son an wife both got bulls in 11 during the same year. (go figure). You will definitely see elk, and you will see some decent bulls... but not many that would grace the cover of a magazine..