Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a GPS

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Advice on a GPS

Hey everyone! I have hunted the same areas for many years and know the terrain well. But now I am starting to hunt new areas which means I am in the market for a GPS! I am looking to spend $300-$400 and wanted your thoughts on a good unit. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 3 Posts
    Gamin Rhino 530hcx. Great Gps and radio. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. Great battery life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hvfd21walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a Garmin Oregon. It has worked well for me. As with most electronics the technology gets a bit better or advances each year. Having a map and compass for backup is good to have just in case it fails though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Root For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    I have the garmin GPSmaps 62st and love it everything you could ask for in a gps with nothing you don't need

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dustyboots For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I and a few buddys have the rhino 530hcx, I have to say it has it's pro's and con's.

I'll start with the con's- I have had to make an exchange for a new one three times do to the speaker on the radio going out over the 4 years I've had it, one of my buddy's also had the same problem.This happened again but this time I couldn't return it because it's now discontinued,but you can still find them online. However I found away around the speaker problem by going to the push-to-talk ear peice.The topo map mini sd cards you buy pre-loaded are expensive, and graphics are ok.

The pro's- you have a radio and gps in one unit, you can poll your buddy's location and see where each other are at (great for working the area) that is one of the option's that sets this gps apart from all the others,IMO.It has the national weather channel on the radio.Batt. life is ok as well. All the other options are about the same as other gps's, like way points, electronic compass, tracking your trail, alarm clock, moon phases games, etc. etc.

Over all it's great to use for hunting with buddy's that have the same unit.IMO
    Last edited by Muleys 24/7; 02-15-2012 at 11:44 PM.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Muleys 24/7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks for the info! This all helps and I will take it into consideration when I finally make a decision!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyboots View Post
    I have the garmin GPSmaps 62st and love it everything you could ask for in a gps with nothing you don't need
    One more vote for the 62s! I saved a $100 bucks and bought it without the maps so that way I could get the Hunting Gps Maps also. http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the Rhino, never had any problems with it. Last year I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx as a dedicated unit for the hunting gps maps. I also use the Etrex when I'm hunting alone or don't need the radio feature. I would recommend either unit without reservation.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm a Garmin loyal. I had an older eTrex and have since upgraded to an Oregon 450t. This past fall I lost it in the woods for a week. It rained on it hard for 3 days. I was extremely lucky to find it, wiped it off, turned it on and it was like it never left my pocket!

I have the huntinggpsmaps program, which is great for hunting smaller parcels of public property.

Also, I really like the Birdseye satellite imagery from Garmin. It allows me to see an image like google earth, which is a huge benefit when scouting. There was a recent post on here about using Apple products like an iPhone and downloading apps for the same functionality. However, I like being able to use AA batteries and I'm sure the Garmin is more rugged.

You want an electronic compass, memory card expandability, and the ability to add satellite images.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    MOHunter, I think I am going to go the Oregon 450 route this year. How is the touch-screen? Does the T version just come with a preloaded topo? If so, I think I will save the money and get the non-T, since I will be getting Huntingtopo anyway.