Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Awesome picture and surely a wonderful memory for you all. Nice picture Bitterroot Bulls! Wow, a mile stalk with a seven year old. That sounds so cool.

I did a bellie stalk in Southeastern Montana around Alzada for one of your MT spedgoats a couple years back. Lots of soapweed yucca and plains prickly-pear out that way on the plains that make it quite interesting on those belly crawls . There is some great and awesome country out there on the plains of Montana.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Those first hunts with dad are ones that all of us never seem to forget. Congrats

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    Awesome picture and surely a wonderful memory for you all. Nice picture Bitterroot Bulls! Wow, a mile stalk with a seven year old. That sounds so cool.

I did a bellie stalk in Southeastern Montana around Alzada for one of your MT spedgoats a couple years back. Lots of soapweed yucca and plains prickly-pear out that way on the plains that make it quite interesting on those belly crawls . There is some great and awesome country out there on the plains of Montana.
    I showed my boy your post, Kevin. He was picking prickly pear needles out of his knees without so much as a whimper. I'm a proud dad.

I've gutted a few goats over by Alzada myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    Nice picture! That reminds me of my first pronghorn hunt with my two oldest boys tagging along out across the desert. We didn't kill the biggest goat but the memories are great!

A 7 year old that can pull off a 1 mile belly crawl will certainly make a dent in the game populations down the road....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I showed my boy your post, Kevin. He was picking prickly pear needles out of his knees without so much as a whimper. I'm a proud dad.

I've gutted a few goats over by Alzada myself.
    Yep, those prickly pear needles are mighty sharp. Sounds like you all had your share of them too on your belly crawl.

Sounds like you have been out by Alzada a time or two as well. The Alzada area is a real awesome and beautiful area. It's almost like your in an old John Wayne movie with the Buttes and Great Plains.

Last edited by Kevin Root; 02-18-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah Alzada is awesome. I have seen a few bomber mulies, and a truly giant whitetail as well. There are some really good spots if you are willing to walk...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I grew up in Alzada. My parents have a ranch there. I thought it was interesting how many of you have hunted there. Most people have never even heard of Alzada before.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoors4life View Post
    I grew up in Alzada. My parents have a ranch there. I thought it was interesting how many of you have hunted there. Most people have never even heard of Alzada before.
    Lots of ranches out in Alzada. It is awesome area outdoors4life. Like Bitterroot Bulls mentions some bomber mulies and giant whitetail as well. I've seen lots of them as well out there. There is a reason the ranchers have those heavy duty brush guards on their trucks. It's not to protect them from brush but from running the gauntlet to protect their trucks from hitting animals out that way a night and early morning . It's crazy running those roads at dark.

I have some friends from Iowa that know Thane Thomas. We were privileged to hunt their family ranch for years to take out some of the antelope population on their ranch. I have some wonderful memories hunting outside of Alzada. A few years back they sold all the hunting rights to an outfitter so I have not been back there in few years. I was spoiled hunting that ranch. It was like bird hunting with lots of action, only with big game animals.

The top picture I posted that looks over the plains is one of those smoke signal pits the indians used to use to send signals to each other, wagon train, army coming, etc..... Thane told us the boy scouts recreated this one in the picture but there was one there in history on that very spot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Kevin, yes the Thomas place is a great place. There are only a few ranches around now that are not locked up by the outfitters. The numbers have gone down probably since you have been there. My folks place got hit hard with blue tongue 7 or 8 years ago then have had nasty winters since then. Crazy how small of a world it is.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I knew ol' Rusty in Ekalaka... and he knew everybody else.