Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sell out

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    I don't think it's magazines like eastmans that causes the deer population decrease. It's definitely has to do with winter kills and predator kills. Even if eastmans says where it is good to hunt, does not make an area over hunted. Most of the areas that are good hunting are hard to draw areas. The game and fish isn't going to give out more tags just because the area is popular. I don't have a problem at all telling people where my honey holes are. Also, out of staters that are looking to hunt here in wyoming shouldn't just go off of what a magazine says. It's a good place to start but if you are wanting even better information, there's no better way than to go straight to the source. By that, I mean drive to wyoming and do your own research.
    So true. We have all had our secret spots found by others but like she said the mags are a place to start. Someone else was probably hunting your spot before you did and it was their honey hole.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For those of you who do not understand the point of all this, I am not saying it is all the magazine fault, the game and fish, and winter kills also play a part of the decline. I am also saying that if you want to hunt a big deer wyoming is not the place anymore Now if Eastman's came out with an story in the mangazine and said that the hunting in a area is bad no deer would you put in for that area?? NO. Now if they come out and say this is the greatest place to hunt would you put in for it? Yes. That is one way that areas get over hunted. The game and fish are more inerested in the money than they are about the deer, that is why they give so many tags. If people would stop talking the area up and stop putting in for the area the game and fish might stop selling so many tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    sellout, I think you are over simplying the issue. Most of the limited entry units for nonresidents take multiple preference points to have a chance at drawing a tag. Just because Wyoming may have a bad year for deer doesn't mean I'm going to stop applying and lose my 4 years worth of points. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think there will always be a higher demand for tags than the number of tags available.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am not saying that only non resident overr hunt the areas because the residents hunt it as well. In some of these area a resident can buy a tay over the counter. If you want to put that is fine just be prepared to not see very many deer, and not very big deer. Good Luck

Not all of Eastman's magazine write ups are bad some are truthful, In the new jounernal for Feb/ Mar in the wyoming section Guy Eastman has a good write up about Mule deer in wyoming. He says the deer are at a 30 year low, and "would consider holding out on applying for a deer tag this year in the cowboy state".
    Last edited by sellout; 02-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    sellout. Have you read the MRS for this year for Wyoming? You are not saying anything about the deer decline thats not in it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In a perfect world, tag quotas are not set by "unit popularity", rather they are set based on the biological health of the herd and what level of hunting it can support and still maintain a healthy balance. Game managers & biologists are human like the rest of us and simply get it wrong sometimes...but, I believe that they are trying their best to get things right (just like the rest of us). If a magazine like Eastmans recommends an area as a good unit, that recommendation is not going to lead to overhunting because the quotas are set independent of Eastmans (or any other magazine's) recommendation. The tags offered are based on what the herd should be able to support - not hunter popularity. It does affect the draw odds however, and that unit that used to take only a point or two to draw could double or triple in points required for the tag. I found it very interesting this year in talking to antelope biologists in WY that some of the "blue chip" units recommended by Eastmans were not held in the same high esteem by many of these biologists. That's where Eastmans recommendation to "do your homework" comes into play.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am from western wyo and it is sad that the deer population has dropped, hopefully WGF will do something about

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Its sounds like things are pretty bad down there Sellout. I think that you should do your part and not hunt the deer in your state this year, and that will at least be one more deer left for next year. Hopefully other people take your example to heart, and most everbody will stop hunting deer in WY until the cycle relplenishes itself. I will be sure to post pictures of the deer that I shoot this year to help tide you over.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think another reason for the decline of Mule Deer is the increase of people running around the mountains all winter, letting their dogs chase deer around through the heavy snow. I have personally seen this happening in the Bridgers for years now, and saw a dismal amount of deer on my Bridger buck hunt last fall. There are so many factors decreasing the population, I have a hard time seeing them come back. I sure hope I'm wrong though.
    Hunt hard, and trust your instincts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No magazine has anything to do witht he decline of deer in western wy. Take a look at the record books. G, H, and K are no secrets.