Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

spotting scopes HELP

Straight or angled thats the question what is the benefits to each i cant decide so a little help would be most appreciated

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I prefer angled. It is really personal preference. Looking down a steep basin angled can be a nuisance. I find it more comfortable over time and if you digiscope, it provides more support for your camera. It takes a little getting used to also on where you are looking, the viewfinders really help with that at the beginning, you get used to it though

Straights advantages are looking down, I tend to get kinks in my neck by looking up for any period of time with a straight.

Bitterroot bulls WILL be chiming in. He knows pretty much everything on optics and will provide valuable info.

What kind of spotter are you looking at?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    Bitterroot bulls WILL be chiming in. He knows pretty much everything on optics and will provide valuable info.
    Is that sarcasm, DRH? I know I'm a pompous know-it-all, but I'm always just trying to help.

The good Dr. nailed it on this one. I also prefer angled, but some guys hate it. I digiscope a lot, and never liked how my camera just hanged off the straight model.

As far as glassing down steep slopes, I use the rotating collar on my angled Razor (and just adjust the tripod head on my Nikon ED50 so it is horizontal), and it is comfortable to me.

The one area where I find straight scopes more convenient is glassing out a truck window, but I don't do that too often, and when I do I make do with the angled just fine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Haha! No sarcasm! I bet you have posted on every topic in optics. You are the resident optics expert! I know you wouldn't be able to resist chiming in on this one. Good point on spotting out of a vehicle. I haven't done it yet with mine and I doubt I will try just anticipating the difficulties involved. I think it is just easier to get out and set up the tripod. It also gives a buddy a window to mount their straight spotter to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started out with Straight spotters but the last year have switched to Angled for much of the reason listed above. As long as they have a rotating collar on them they are much easier to use when glassing. The only drawback was what they said above and that is finding what you are looking at with your eyes or binos, it takes some getting use to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was just trying to decide the same thing a couple weeks ago. I currenty have the straight, but will be getting the angled due to the neck kink from the straight. As far as spotting out of the truck, like they said above, I always get out and glass anyways. The only thing I was concerned about was finding game fast with the angled, but just like any thing it'll take a little practice and getting use to.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    I was just trying to decide the same thing a couple weeks ago. I currenty have the straight, but will be getting the angled due to the neck kink from the straight. As far as spotting out of the truck, like they said above, I always get out and glass anyways. The only thing I was concerned about was finding game fast with the angled, but just like any thing it'll take a little practice and getting use to.
    One feature I love about the new Vortex Viper HD spotters (I kind of wished my Razor HD had one), is the little accessory mount. You can put a mini red dot on it and find your target easy as pie. I have actually got pretty used to finding the target without using any aiming aid, though.