Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I shoot factory loads 160 gr Accu Bond with my Savage model 16 7mm wsm. I have a Leupold VX111 4.5x14x50 scope, a muzzle break and sims recoil pad. It has factory stock and trigger. I can shoot 4" groups at 850 yards. You can get better groups if you want to load your own rounds. I reload for my 338 ultra mag that is full custom and can get 2" groups at 900 yards. IMO the cost of a full custom vs my Savage for about $1500 I would go with the Savage. A lot of cash for 2" difference.

Both guns are moa-sub moa at 500 yards and under

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackman1 View Post
    With a lot of practice I would like to extend my long range shooting plus get into reloading! Figured custom loads custom rifle. What model savage do you recommend? Hunting Range Accuracy
    If you are wanting to get in to the Long Range game, Savage makes the Long Range Hunter in some old standby calibers as well as some more interesting ones (like 6.5 Creedmore). I have two Savage rifles currently and like Bitterroot Bulls and others have said here, they all flat shoot. My sons .243 is .5" with factory ammo, and shot that out of the box. Same deal with my .270 "Weather Warrior". It shoots so good my wife stole that one from me. At least she was kind enough to let me get a Kimber 8400 Classic to replace the one she took over!

Personally I agree that there are some great options out there for less than custom money, that would probably allow you to go with a better scope. The scope alone will increase your effectivness at ALL ranges, especially longer.

Besides Savage and Kimber you might also look at a weatherby Vanguard, either the sub MOA or the RC. Both are neat guns. I kind of like the new Winchester model 70 as well, but I haven't shot one. I just like the looks and feel.

Thanks
    All good advice..........put the money saved towards good optics and reloading gear. Your groups should and probably will shrink once you get a good load worked up for your particular rifle. And like Bitter Root Bulls said: You can always have the action of your stock rifle accurized, it does make a difference.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Rackman,

What kind of hunting are you doing, and for what?

Savage rifles shoot, just about every one. Tikkas are the same story. There is nothing wrong with a good custom, or semi-custom rifle either. Check out Cooper Rifles as well.

You can accurize your current rifle as well. Lots of options.
    Bitter,

I hunt Whitetails every year Im planning on hunting Elk this year and other big game animals in the years to come Mule deer, Bear, and eventually Moose.

Thanks
    I just looked at the Cooper rifles. did not see any short mags...... would have thought they were available.

Thanks
    It might not surprise anybody here, but I like the idea of putting a great sighting optic on a gun. If your gun and load shoots tight as is, upgrade some other components with that $1500.

Leupold makes fine, durable, reliable scopes. The new VX-6 line is especially interesting, and the CDS system is really nice out to reasonable ranges.

However, don't overlook other brands as well. Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leica all make scopes that are more affordable than you might assume. These more affordable lines (Conquest, Z3) are also assembled right here in the good ol' USA. Other Euro scope makers have recently followed with their own USA assembled scopes (Minox, Meopta Meopros) and their performance is really good.

Vortex makes some of the toughest scopes out there. The Viper HS and PST lines are very good. They provide a lot of features for the price. I personally really like them. I used a Vortex Viper scope this year to harvest my Mulie.

SWFA has a line of tactical scopes (the SS line) with FFP reticles that are really something. think Nightforce reliability with better than Nightforce glass for cheaper than Nightforce money.

Don't be afraid to look past the golden ring when shopping for a new scope.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dead river View Post
    I just looked at the Cooper rifles. did not see any short mags...... would have thought they were available.
    I believe they are working on it. In the meantime perhaps a 6.5x284 could fit the bill?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackman1 View Post
    Bitter,

I hunt Whitetails every year Im planning on hunting Elk this year and other big game animals in the years to come Mule deer, Bear, and eventually Moose.
    Your 06 will certainly do the trick on those species, if it is a shooter. I do like the idea of a fast 30 cal or 7mm though. They are hard to beat.

Sorry about the optics tangent ... I think it has gone past obsession for me.