Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    No one mentions Remington? I have to throw that name in the hat. You can build a rifle on a rem action for around 1500$ keep in mind most competition rifles are built around or designs based off of the rem 700. I guess the savage accuwedge on a rem 700 equals magic.

Like packer, ikic, bb said. Optics is a must and to remphasize what packed 58 said, you can turn an average shooting rifle into an accurate one by investing in reloading. That is what is going to make your rifle shoot well. Investing time and more time into load development. One of these days I need to take a picture of my reloading bench.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    +1 on the optics check out sightron also killer glass and amazing warranty if your mind is set on a custom rifle check out heart custom rifles I have an action I am sendin to them to build me a 7mm short mag

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    No one mentions Remington? I have to throw that name in the hat.
    Maybe if you can find an older one or a Sendero. Their new stuff is pretty 'meh' anymore.

Savage is blowing away the competition right now.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    Maybe if you can find an older one or a Sendero. Their new stuff is pretty 'meh' anymore.

Savage is blowing away the competition right now.
    I have the same sentiment concerning Remington. Their customer service is a total joke.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can always buy an older savage and build it your self pretty easily. Buy a barrel vise and barrel nut wrench and thats all you really need. Swap the barrel with a premium one of your choice, swap the stock with one of your choice, bed the action and free float, no reason why it shouldnt shoot under MOA, especially if you plan on handloading. If thats not good enough send it off to sharpshooter supply and have the action trued and timed or any other gunsmith. That would keep you under $1500 and ull have the satisfaction of building your own rifle. Once I get some money thats what I plan on doing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Boy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know you have to take rifle reviews with a grain of salt from gun editors but here is nice writeup from David Petzel over at field and stream on the new weatherby vanguard.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...guard-series-2

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    No one mentions Remington? I have to throw that name in the hat. You can build a rifle on a rem action for around 1500$ keep in mind most competition rifles are built around or designs based off of the rem 700. I guess the savage accuwedge on a rem 700 equals magic.

Like packer, ikic, bb said. Optics is a must and to remphasize what packed 58 said, you can turn an average shooting rifle into an accurate one by investing in reloading. That is what is going to make your rifle shoot well. Investing time and more time into load development. One of these days I need to take a picture of my reloading bench.

What press should i start with turret or single stage? budget job here lol kit or piece a set together?
    Last edited by Rackman1; 02-22-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackman1 View Post
    What press should i start with turret or single stage? budget job here lol kit or piece a set together?
    I really like the Hornady Loc n Load. I got the single stafge kit when they first came out. It has served me well for many years, and is very easy to use. The single stage suits the volume that I am loading.

Chad

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackman1 View Post
    Rackman1,

Since your just getting into the reloading world I would suggest starting with a good single stage press, I own RCBS gear, a single stage and the ammo master turret. The single stage RCBS is what I reload all my big stuff with, and I think with less moving parts you can controll seating depths a little better IMO. Also, if your primarily loading hunting stuff you won't need the high volume of the turret press. As far as "kits" or "piece meal", there are kits available that will get you started in basic reloading for a reasonable price. Let me give you some sound advice from many years of handloading...............start out with a LARGE reloading bench/table, at first it will look a little empty and you'l have lots of space but before long you'll have more gadgets than carter has pills.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to packer58 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    Rackman1,

Since your just getting into the reloading world I would suggest starting with a good single stage press, I own RCBS gear, a single stage and the ammo master turret. The single stage RCBS is what I reload all my big stuff with, and I think with less moving parts you can controll seating depths a little better IMO. Also, if your primarily loading hunting stuff you won't need the high volume of the turret press. As far as "kits" or "piece meal", there are kits available that will get you started in basic reloading for a reasonable price. Let me give you some sound advice from many years of handloading...............start out with a LARGE reloading bench/table, at first it will look a little empty and you'l have lots of space but before long you'll have more gadgets than carter has pills.
    Good advice. For all hunting or accuracy loads, I use a single stage rcbs. You can pick up an rcbs reloading kit. I have seen them at Walmart even. I think it comes with the press, scale, powder measure and trickles. Most of the basics you will need. You can pick up a cheap tumbler at harbor freight along with media. You can go to a buddys house to borrow his trimmer. And a lee auto prime is fairly inexpensive.

It is called the rock Chucker master reloading kit. Comes with essentials. Check it out. That's what I would get. I have the same press and it is great. Don't waste your money on a turret press for the reasons packer said. Too many variables.