Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Custom Rifle under $1500

I ve shot factory rifles and factory ammo only. Any insight on a custom setup? Looking for a magnum caliber shooting less than an inch! Also would it be better to send my rifle to a gunsmith? Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Plenty of guns out there that shoot less than an inch that you can buy at a store. Tikka, savage and weatherby all come to mind. If you want more of a custom gun you can always buy a kimber. But if you really wanna go custom im sure you can get a smith to build you a mildly custom rifle for under 1500.

Thanks
    Coffin Customs here in Montana builds awesome guns. He built me a 30-338 last year. If you already have an action you can deffinately do it for under $1500.

Thanks
    Buy the cheapest used savage 10/100 staggerfeed you can find with the bolt face and action length for your caliber. Buy a bolt on match barrel, trigger, stock, a few hand tools and save the extra money for ammo.

Thanks
    You can get a weatherby vanguard s2 sub-moa for way under $1500, although its not "custom" they are damn fine shooters. I have two of the older vanguard sub-moa models, .30-06 and .338wm. Both bring the bacon home. Only complaint is they are a little heavier than some of my other rifles and if I have a long and/or steep hike I typically take my tikka t3.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Boy View Post
    Plenty of guns out there that shoot less than an inch that you can buy at a store. Tikka, savage and weatherby all come to mind. If you want more of a custom gun you can always buy a kimber. But if you really wanna go custom im sure you can get a smith to build you a mildly custom rifle for under 1500.

I hunt with a tikka currently in 30-06 and a savage in a 243 win. Looking for a mildly custom rifle in a 300 win 300wsm 7 mm but most importantly try to achieve better accuracy than i currently have .

Thanks
    Those are pretty low expectations. Just get another Savage or Tikka and save yourself a grand.

But, if you're set on spending it, there are a lot of semi-customs floating around for $1000-1500.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Get a savage. Easy to customize and extremely accurate out of the box. Save the money on the rifle and spend the extra money on the scope. I think most guns are moa out of the box and the scope makes all the difference in the world. Also depends on the range your wanting to shoot at. 100-200yards you shouldn't have any trouble with sub moa most guns out of the box. If you shooting 400-1000 that's a completely different story.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Get a savage. Easy to customize and extremely accurate out of the box. Save the money on the rifle and spend the extra money on the scope. I think most guns are moa out of the box and the scope makes all the difference in the world. Also depends on the range your wanting to shoot at. 100-200yards you shouldn't have any trouble with sub moa most guns out of the box. If you shooting 400-1000 that's a completely different story.
    With a lot of practice I would like to extend my long range shooting plus get into reloading! Figured custom loads custom rifle. What model savage do you recommend? Hunting Range Accuracy

Thanks
    Rackman,

What kind of hunting are you doing, and for what?

Savage rifles shoot, just about every one. Tikkas are the same story. There is nothing wrong with a good custom, or semi-custom rifle either. Check out Cooper Rifles as well.

You can accurize your current rifle as well. Lots of options.