Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Newbie needs help with learning to bugle for bow season

This may seem like a simple question but I have bow hunted a lot but never for Elk. I believe one of they components to a successful hunt is being able to bugle and cow call. Have been looking and there are ALOT of options out there. What would be a good one to start with? I have used mouth turkey calls a lot so I am comfortable with the mouth call but there are a lot of options and then there are the tubes. Any good instructional videos?

What should I start with? I know there are a lot of opinions about this so lets hear them.

Appreciate the help. Happy Hunting

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 66 Times in 8 Posts
    I like all of the Primos calls. Hoochie mama is a great hand call. As far as the mouth calls they all work well but I think you should try different ones to see which one you like the best. I believe they all come with instructional videos.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    The hoochie mama is a great call, but it gets extremely over used.. especially here in Wyoming. I am pro-staff for MossBack Game Calls and definitely love their calls. I loved their calls even before I was on their pro-staff I owned their bugle and cow call. They are truly different from every other call company out there. I can go on forever about them and the calls. The bugle that I used is Da Holla Back Bugle. It is extremely easy to use and is amazing sounding. I can bugle and chuckle without a diaphragm call in. The cow call that I use is The Widowmaker. It is very versatile and can produce chirps, mews and estrus calls. You can make the call very soft or extremely loud. It really is awesome. But I do agree with Ikeepitcold, you need to find one that is right for you. If you want any additional info, just let me know

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    Check out Elk Nut he has some great instructional videos, audios a field guide and calls and hes a great guy to boot

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Also elk101.com has some good info.

Hey Jen, being prostaff, aren't you supposed to say all other calls sound like a broken record from the 1930's, if you don't use mossback calls you are wasting your time? Haha. Just kidding with ya.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 7 Posts
    Here's what I think, making elk sounds is the easy part. learning what sound to make and when to make it is the key. There are many easy to use calls on the market that work well. I use Deep Timber Sounds calls now. The cow call is very versitile and easy to use. The bugle takes some practice, but its the most realistic and versitile I have ever used. When looking for instrutional videos look for ones that tell you what each elk sound means, and learn about the phases of the elk rut. Then its just a matter of how many differant calls you want to carry around. I like versitility so I can make alot of differant sounds with one cow call and one bugle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One of the best ways to bow hunt elk is not only being a good caller but when I bow hunt I like to have a friend with me to do the calling and I set up about 75 to 100 yards from him and wait for the bull to come in. Alot of times when your calling by yourself a bull will stop and look for the elk making the call but will be out of shootimg distance. I have had that happen a few times when hunting by myself. I use a bugle to locate a bull then maybe a few cow calls to bring him in. Sometimes they are in the rut and run in and sometimes they bugle and leave. These are a few bulls I called up last year. One thing is for sure when a bull is in the peak of the rut there's no telling what he will do! I have had them just about run me over and I have had days where I couldn't pay one to come in. Good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to brooks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice pic's and great advice.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks a lot for all the advice. This forum is a great place to get information from a different people with different experiences.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    crumy, I use mouth calls the most but also use many different calls that i carry on a lanyard around my neck. I sometimes have a hard time walking and trying to get alot of air in my lungs why I am trying to keep the call in my mouth. If I take them out while i am walking the call drys out and it takes a while to get some moisture in it so it squeels corectly. This is when the blow calls ( hanging around my neck) comes in handy. I dont like the hoochie mama because it is too large and takes a hand to use it, when you have a range finder in one hand a bow in the other, makes it kind of tough. The hoochie mama sounds good if you press it the same way each time. If you push it to fast, it sometimes sounds like an alarm bark ( not good ). Good luck