Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Widefield riflescopes

Hey guys, my dad is in the market for a new riflescope for his browning 30-06 blr. He is in love with an old redfield he has on a 300 mag and is dead set on buying another for this gun. He insists that he can't get a good field of view out of any other scope than one of these due to what they called the widefield style scopes. I have looked all over and haven't found anything new, some old used ones on ebay similar to the one he has. Does anyone know of any companies with this style of scope out now that are new? He is driving me crazy!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Hey guys, my dad is in the market for a new riflescope for his browning 30-06 blr. He is in love with an old redfield he has on a 300 mag and is dead set on buying another for this gun. He insists that he can't get a good field of view out of any other scope than one of these due to what they called the widefield style scopes. I have looked all over and haven't found anything new, some old used ones on ebay similar to the one he has. Does anyone know of any companies with this style of scope out now that are new? He is driving me crazy!!!
    They are going to be tough to find. They had really wide fields of view. If that is what he is looking for some modern scopes with really wide FOVs include Zeiss Conquest, Meopta, Swarovski Z6, and the new Leupold VX-6. THe FOV in the VX-6 is impressive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Your dad sounds like mine!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a Redfield Widefield many years ago and it was a great scope. O rings went bad after about 25 years and I had to replace it. The only way to get more field of view is to get the 50mm ocular lens, which I personally don't care for. I think that they are set too high on the action, taller rings to clear the large end of the scope vs barrel. Leupold does make a scope that has a radius in the ocular end so it can be mounted lower. Only other solution would be to get on one of the "guns for sale" sites and see if you can find an older Redfield. I think there are still people out there that repair them too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the input guys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I had a Redfield Widefield many years ago and it was a great scope. O rings went bad after about 25 years and I had to replace it. The only way to get more field of view is to get the 50mm ocular lens, which I personally don't care for. I think that they are set too high on the action, taller rings to clear the large end of the scope vs barrel. Leupold does make a scope that has a radius in the ocular end so it can be mounted lower. Only other solution would be to get on one of the "guns for sale" sites and see if you can find an older Redfield. I think there are still people out there that repair them too.
    Actually, CC, the field of view is primarily a function of eyepiece design and magnification. The lower the magnification, the wider the field. Eyepieces that provide the widest fields (at comparable magnifications) often do so at the expense of eye relief.

Small objective scopes often have very wide fields of view.

Big objectives have more effect on exit pupil, and by extension, low-light performance.

I agree completely about big objectives and mounting height.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Actually, CC, the field of view is primarily a function of eyepiece design and magnification. The lower the magnification, the wider the field. Eyepieces that provide the widest fields (at comparable magnifications) often do so at the expense of eye relief.

Small objective scopes often have very wide fields of view.

Big objectives have more effect on exit pupil, and by extension, low-light performance.

I agree completely about big objectives and mounting height.

Now that I think about it your right. The widefield had the wide eyepiece. Must have had a senior moment!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Your dad can also send his scope to ABO USA, and have it repaired.