Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muzzlebreaks?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

muzzlebreaks?

Thinking if building a new light weight mountain rifle. It was suggested by a friend to put on a muzzlebreak. Looking for information and opinions. Pros? Cons? Do you get added range? Does it cut recoil alot? Tuneable or not? Thanks for your input and wealth of knowledge

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It cuts recoil, there REALLY loud, makes your head hurt and blows dirt and pine needles in your eyes if your shooting off the ground and have a 360 degree brake (most are). Does nothing to add to your range. What caliber are you going to be shooting?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Boy View Post
    It cuts recoil, there REALLY loud, makes your head hurt and blows dirt and pine needles in your eyes if your shooting off the ground and have a 360 degree brake (most are). Does nothing to add to your range. What caliber are you going to be shooting?
    I agree 100%, Muzzle brakes reduce felt recoil and mello out barrel jump/rise from the shot. However, the muzzle blast is very violent. If you choose to have a muzzle brake installed I would suggest that you take along the friend that recomended it so he can put his fingers in your ears and hold your hat on while you shoot

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    I agree 100%, Muzzle brakes reduce felt recoil and mello out barrel jump/rise from the shot. However, the muzzle blast is very violent. If you choose to have a muzzle brake installed I would suggest that you take along the friend that recomended it so he can put his fingers in your ears and hold your hat on while you shoot
    HA,That's hilarious, but good idea!
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My gun is at weatherby rite now getting the accubrake installed, I don't care about the noise, because I'm half deaf, that's what the wife says anyways
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have a muzzle brake on my .300 Wby. Yes it's louder.....BUT felt recoil is like a .243 or such. If you are building or shooting a lightweight rifle in a magnum caliber, they can be very advantagous, especially if you are sensitive to recoil. I do believe in a lot of cases they will help you become a better shot, because they can help by keeping the shooter from flinching. Magnum calibers in a lightweight rifle can be brutal to a lot of shooters. I am RangeMaster during our Hunter Sight In Days at our local rifle range and I have seen it first hand.The advice to shoot a rifle with one installed is great, then make up your own mind.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    That is pretty funny... I shoot breaks and unfortunately it's horribly true... My hearing in my left ear is significantly inferior to my right. There is one advantage though... When you sleep in grizzly country and everytime you hear something it wakes you up, you just roll over and put your good ear in the pillow

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    A good timed/directional muzzlebrake is very much worth it in my opinion. I have OPS muzzlebrakes (the guy who makes these also makes a lot of the silencers, brakes, etc for the navy seals) on both of my rifles 300 Weatherby Mag and 30-06. Over the last 10 years or so I have had a lot of experience with these set ups. There are several reasons I use a muzzlebrake obviously to reduce recoil which on the brake I use I would guess at about 40% less felt recoil. It also reduces muzzle rise this allows you when shooting large caliber rifles to not have to reacquire your target in the scope after feeling the guns recoil very important when seconds count. Secondly my muzzlebrake redirects the sound coming from my gun to the side and behind me. This is important because when you shoot at an animal often times they will not hear your rifle and continue unbothered or more often the case your bullet will hit behind them and they may run toward you. I have seen this multiple times personally so for me a muzzlebrake is an essential component to my rifle it lets me become more efficient as a shooter and also gives me second chances at animals that otherwise I would not have had. I also have never had an issue with dust etc when shooting this brake and I would not say the that the sound the shooter hears is significantly different than without a brake. JMHO but check them out

http://opsinc.us/muzzle-brakes.html

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Stop being a sissy and protect your ears. Just kidding.... Kinda. I only have two ears and I can't work them out to improve them so I want to keep what I have. I can get a new shoulder hehe. Oh wait I already did that twice and it wasn't fun either time. I am also on the band wagon that you don't need that humongous caliber so recoil isn't a huge concern of mine.

I do not have any experience with muzzle breaks and probably never will. People that have them swear by them. I guess it is like that love em or hate em relationship.

Do you get added range?

I think if anything and this is just an educated guess is that you would lose range if anything because you are moving the pressure from going forward into another direction. I don't know if it is noticeable or not but that is my little pea brains thinking. It could add range if you are afraid of your gun and by adding one you are not afraid to shoot it anymore!
    Last edited by Drhorsepower; 02-24-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have muzzle brakes (BOSS) on two rifles, they are both Browning SS, A bolt II, in 270WSM and 300WSM. Thank god they are removable. I only screw them on during shooting practice for my wife and son. Come huntin season they are removed. I shot at a running buck in Utah once with a brake still on and thats all it took, rung my ears bad!!