Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Had to do it again...another wilderness elk hunt.

After my not so successful Wyoming Thorofare Teton Wilderness elk hunt, I am doing another one. While I was toying with the idea of going back to Thorofare with a different outfitter, I thought about the problems we had and decided not to go there. I committed to go in 2013 with a Colorado outfitter whom I know pretty well, just waiting for the contracts for me and my hunting buddy from California. The hunt is a lot less strenous, even tho we pack in a wilderness area. Lots of great country I have hiked in and lots on elk. A lot less $$$ too. Will be hunting the first rifle either sex hunt, which should be at the tail end of the rut. This will be my 26 or 27th wilderness biggame hunt. Can't seem to stay away from them. I'm 70 now and I know there arn't too many years left for this type of hunt.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Hogwash CC,

You have plenty of wilderness years left in you!

Good luck in CO!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds like it will be an awesome adventure Colorado Cowboy. I hope you will have a fun and successful hunt. Time has a way of going by fast. It's one of those things none of us is getting any more of. Once time has past it's not coming back. I'm 51 but I feel the similar as you. I never know how many more days or years I'll be able to hunt and hike up the wilderness.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
    Oscar Wilde

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing."
    Hellen Keller

"Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
    J.R. Tolkien

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"
    Ralf Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Hogwash CC,

You have plenty of wilderness years left in you!

Good luck in CO!
    I hope your right! I try to keep in shape, go to the gym almost every day, keep my weight down and do lots of walking and hiking in the summer. After surviving 2 bouts with cancer and the DR told me I had a 1 in 10 chance to live 5 years, I changed my whole philosophy of life. been 17 years and I enjoy EVERY minute of it!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I hope your right! I try to keep in shape, go to the gym almost every day, keep my weight down and do lots of walking and hiking in the summer. After surviving 2 bouts with cancer and the DR told me I had a 1 in 10 chance to live 5 years, I changed my whole philosophy of life. been 17 years and I enjoy EVERY minute of it!!!
    Awesome testimony Colorado Cowboy! Enjoy EVERY minute. Each moment is a precious gift. Enjoy your adventure!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Keep it up CC! It gives us 60 somethings a target to shoot for!
    Enjoy the hunt!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    After my not so successful Wyoming Thorofare Teton Wilderness elk hunt, I am doing another one. While I was toying with the idea of going back to Thorofare with a different outfitter, I thought about the problems we had and decided not to go there. I committed to go in 2013 with a Colorado outfitter whom I know pretty well, just waiting for the contracts for me and my hunting buddy from California. The hunt is a lot less strenous, even tho we pack in a wilderness area. Lots of great country I have hiked in and lots on elk. A lot less $$$ too. Will be hunting the first rifle either sex hunt, which should be at the tail end of the rut. This will be my 26 or 27th wilderness biggame hunt. Can't seem to stay away from them. I'm 70 now and I know there arn't too many years left for this type of hunt.
    Bummer to hear a thorofare sad story... And details on what went wrong? I attempted once but the 26 miles was just too much for us young stupid kids at the time. made it 13 miles and just hunted from there, which was very poor. I was so disappointed that we didn't make it, and now it's high on my "to do" list as I am a little more wish.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The outfitter (I'll leave his name out) has 2 camps and I hunted in the one that was over 30 miles in, right next to the SE corner of the park. Too many wolves, they have really taken a toll on the game. Only saw 10 or 12 elk and 1 deer during the 6 hunting days. There are several other outfitters who hunt areas not so close to the Park that seem to do better. I was considering going again with another outfitter, but I'll stick with areas where there are no wolves YET!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My hat's off to you CC........keep goin til you can't go no more, you only twirl the word once.

OOPS, I meant world once