Thread: Unit 28?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 28?

Like a couple of you other guys, I am planning my first trip to Idaho for mule deer . I have narrowed my decision for my second choice tag to the following units: 28, 36b, 73 or 76. Right now I want to lean towards 28 because of the options of BLM, forestry and wilderness lands all in one unit. My hunting buddy and I like to backpack into places but we wouldnt mind a regular deer camp either. We will be rifle hunting and would be more than happy to find a couple 150-160 class bucks. If any of you have any first hand experience with any of these units, any info you can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have some slight experience in that zone, not for deer, but for elk. Those northern zones are absolutely crawling with wolves. I have seen the deer population drastically decrease due to harsh winters and lots of predators. Now, that isnt to say that I havent seen some good bucks runnin around there in the 24"-28" range. The best advice I can give you is hunt the zone that offers the latest season (need a few snow showers before the big boys come out of hiding) Also, be prepared to take those 200-350 yard shots, and buy a wolf tag (maybe 2) they are only $35 dollars or something like that for nonresidents.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the reply. The game warden for that area told me I would be lucky to see a wolf. If I did see one though I would regret not
    having a 35 dollar tag in my pocket.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The game warden didn't lie to ya!! I only saw 1 the entire time I was in the unit.. An it was less than a flash.. But you can hear em, and see tracks.. Perhaps it's different on the south side, but in my experience up north you should have a damn fine time

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have some experience in 28. Don't get your hopes up too much about seeing a lot of deer, they seem to be few and far between and we put in miles and miles and miles. Kind of a head scratcher to me that you can sit in a beautiful basin with a spotting scope and not see anything for days! We saw less than 10 deer in 7 days of very hard hunting. I ended up with a pretty decent four point (est. 3.5yo) 4.5 miles (straight line on Google Earth) in from the nearest road, it was the only deer that we saw all day!

The country is not for the weak of heart! This is some of the most brutal area to hunt out west.

All that said, I am going back!