Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need help finding the right gps

I never saw the need to have a gps but the more I think about the more I am realizing that I do. I don't really know much about them. I was thinking about the Garmin Oregon but not sure. I've done a lot of research on different units and they and they all seem to have their pros and cons. Is there any specific features that i should really look for or what? Thanks
    Bull Time

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am having the same dilemma as well!! I have narrowed mine down to the etrex 30. What I feel are pros to me were that the etrex can track glonass sats as well as gps (quicker and more accurate, but i assume they all will do this eventually). I can load topo maps to it and it has good battery life and small. cons its a smaller screen and if touch screen is important then the etrex is not for you. good luck on your search!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I will be moving to the Oregon 450 this year. I thought about the Montana, but that thing is almost as big as an iPad!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I will be moving to the Oregon 450 this year. I thought about the Montana, but that thing is almost as big as an iPad!
    +1 on teh Oregan. That is what I have.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    +1 on teh Oregan. That is what I have.
    Make that 2... I have it and it is impressive. I literally can be standing on a fence line and my GPS will tell me I am on public and who owns the property 1 ft in front of me. I can't say I love the navigational part of it not super easy to use. But when I need to know where public and private is, it is invaluable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell M. View Post
    I never saw the need to have a gps but the more I think about the more I am realizing that I do. I don't really know much about them. I was thinking about the Garmin Oregon but not sure. I've done a lot of research on different units and they and they all seem to have their pros and cons. Is there any specific features that i should really look for or what? Thanks
    To specifically answer this question... Make sure it's color and has the ability to determine private/public ground.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    I also have had some GPS units that when it gets dark, the screen doesnt light up.. so make sure if you are going to be out when it's dark that you get one that you can still read in the dark or low light. It never fails that I lose track of time chasing something one more canyon over (which turns out to be one more canyon, okay one more canyon, okay just one more... 15 miles later..) and then have to hike my butt out in the dark. I definitely also look for ones that are easy to use.. I am not always the brightest person in the world..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    I also have had some GPS units that when it gets dark, the screen doesnt light up.. so make sure if you are going to be out when it's dark that you get one that you can still read in the dark or low light. It never fails that I lose track of time chasing something one more canyon over (which turns out to be one more canyon, okay one more canyon, okay just one more... 15 miles later..) and then have to hike my butt out in the dark. I definitely also look for ones that are easy to use.. I am not always the brightest person in the world..
    Battery life is a BIG issue with that, especially on the touch screen models. Once you hit 50% battery life some of the units kick into battery saver mode and it is nearly impossible to read them, especially in bright sun light.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This was my first year with the Oregon 450. My first upgrade from the Garmin 12XL, so big difference. With the 12XL I would mark where I parked, camped, and where my elk was , turn it off and never look at it again. Only one time did I use it to get me to where I needed to go one night (long story). I really don't need the 450 any more than the 12XL but I get a lot more use out of it. Find an address on Google maps, download the position to the Oregon 450, and it will give you turn by turn instructions on how to get there. Sync the time with your camera, save the track log, and software available on the internet will assign GPS coordinates to your pictures. With the heart rate monitor it will record your heart rate to the track log. Love the maps, which were all downloaded from the internet. You can also make your own. gpsfiledepot.com has been a big help.

Battery life is way better than the 12XL. The 12XL could go through 4 AA batteries in a day if it was on. The 450 can go for three to four days on two AA's, but all I usually do is just turn it on, lock the screen, and put it away. Change screens a lot, use the backlight a lot, and your milage will vary. The best batteries I have tried so far are the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA. Tried rechargeable. OK, but they go pretty quick.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 6 Posts
    I am using the GPS Map 62. It has been a great unit, color screen, back lit screen, able to load topo maps, able to overlay topo maps with land owner maps. And for the price, it was hard to justify spending a lot more $ when this unit had all the features that I felt I needed in a GPS. Decide what features are your must haves, and then see what unit fits the bill. Any additional features can then be added to whatever degree you are willing to spend the cash for. Good luck.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy