Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Berger bullets (vlds)

Recently have started reworking loads for my old 280 rem. in a 700 mountain rifle. This gun has filled more tags for me than i can really remember. It is one of the most accurate production guns i have had. Depending on species i have a selection of bullets and loads worked up. From 120gr ballistic tips for pronghorn to 150 gr, gamekings for deer,elk and beer. Decidede to make this my long range light rifle getting away from the big mags i have used the last few years.

Giving Berger 140gr vld's a run. Havent even been past the realoading bench yet to find some accuracy. But wondering how they perform on game? I watch the shows like everyone else,that shows perfect drops on big animals at range. But would like to get some real world opinions.

How do they perform if no bones are hit?
    On bone as well?
    I know they are designed to come apart,but do the desinigrate so bad that the ruin half the animal? Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I killed a bull with a 30 cal 185 VLD Hunting with a high shoulder hit. The bullet penetrated a few inches (through the scapula), and then destroyed a bunch of lung tissue, and some portion exited. The kill was quick and clean.

I would think that given the traditional structure of the bullet, using heavy for caliber would be best. In .284, the 168 would probably be better than the 140 regarding terminal performance.

It seems like the reports of Bergers failing on game are more prevalent in the smaller calibers.

I will be working with the 168 LRX and 160 Accubond in my 7mm Mag, they could be other options for you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I killed a bull with a 30 cal 185 VLD Hunting with a high shoulder hit. The bullet penetrated a few inches (through the scapula), and then destroyed a bunch of lung tissue, and some portion exited. The kill was quick and clean.

I would think that given the traditional structure of the bullet, using heavy for caliber would be best. In .284, the 168 would probably be better than the 140 regarding terminal performance.

It seems like the reports of Bergers failing on game are more prevalent in the smaller calibers.

I will be working with the 168 LRX and 160 Accubond in my 7mm Mag, they could be other options for you.
    I almost did and may still give the 168's a look. And i agree there is no doubt from a pure balistics veiw that would be a better choice. I am a little worried that trajectory from a 280 with that heavy of bullet will suffer to much to get the range i am hoping for.I would like to see 5-700 yards from this caliber bullet combo,with terminal performance enough to take deer sized animals. Berger needs to make a 150gr .284 to fill that gap! Thanks for the post BTW.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you are shooting to 700, you are going to have to compensate for trajectory anyway. The 140 is going to shoot a little flatter to MPBR, but the 168 is going to do better past that. If this is a LR rig, the 168 is the better pill, IMO.