Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you could choose/

If you could choose your favorite type of hunting camp, what would it be?
    I love horsebackin' into remote areas with camp and all your gear packed with you. There is nothing like a string of mules being lead into the wilderness. A nice wall tent with all the amenities of home makes for a great place to unwind after a long day of hunting.
    What floats your boat??
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    Cant beat the wilderness pack-in hunts in my view. Nothing like being many miles from nowhere. I guess I have to say that cause its how i make a living, but in honesty i love being way back in the hills with a wall tent camp and strings of mules and horses for days to months on end. The favorite part though, Definitely pulling those strings back to civilization loaded with meat and racks.

Last edited by mntnguide; 04-20-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Picture added

Thanks
    Congratulations
    definitely enjoy the mule trips too, but i am enjoying more and more going in on foot completely solo. i love the challenge of enduring a blizzard in late august to reap the rewards of the animals moving the following day. there seems to an added reward of satisfaction and accomplishment when you are not relying on anyone else but God and yourself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    Something about back-packing camps above timberline during the archery mule deer season does it for me.......tranquility.

BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 4 Posts
    Lately we have kind of done it both ways. I like to take the horses in, with all my backpack gear on. Then when we get to where we want to hunt, we get off the horses and have some one take them back home. That way we don't have to worry about coming back and taking care of horses. If we are lucky enough to kill, we hike out and come back on the horses, works out pretty well
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bohntr, i like the way you think
    Ill give up all my hunting in Michigan for 2 weeks in the high country

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ohhh man, Do I have to choose? I have done neither. I used to pack back country and never hunted. Now I hunt and dont do any backpacking. I Car Camp. I know its not the same, but with two young boys who are only 5 and 6, for the last four years its been the easiest on the wife.
    I have all the stuff now just about to horse pack into the back country...just minus the horses.LOL
    I also just about have gotten all my pack gear back over the years with new gear.

But when we do go car camping, its usually up near Deadwood reservoir, and thats pretty remote as it is.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm envious. My favorite so far is in a tree-stand. We don't have many mulies or elk walk through our woods in lower MI. I'm looking forward to say packing everything in and out on my back is my new favorite way. It's only about four months away.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do what ever it takes and adjust to what ever hunt I am on. Sometimes I use horses and ride most of the day, and other times to just get me into the back country and then on foot. Like wolftalon said, with kids you have to adjust for them and the last couple of years we have done alot of hunting from our camp trailer. But with all that said there is nothing better than backpacking in solo on foot, and I do it ever chance I get.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronghorn73 View Post
    Like wolftalon said, with kids you have to adjust for them and the last couple of years we have done alot of hunting from our camp trailer. But with all that said there is nothing better than backpacking in solo on foot, and I do it ever chance I get.
    Now that I have a little one I have to agree. I take the trailer in as far as I can get it and then backpack from there. It's nice having a good meal, hot shower and a warm welcome at the end of the day. If everything goes as planned this year I will be able to set up the trailer, spend a night or two on the mountain with a backpack, return for a nice night at the trailer and not have to worry about leaving the girls alone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.