Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to wy antelope any help appreciated

My dad, myself, and two uncles are trying to go on an antelope hunt this fall. We all have one point and are looking for a unit that will allow us to see lots of goats, not necesarily looking for a trophy. Have researched area 41 a little bit, but Looking for any suggestions. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Have you checked out the MRS for the Wy Antelpoe stats?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwmn hunter View Post
    My dad, myself, and two uncles are trying to go on an antelope hunt this fall. We all have one point and are looking for a unit that will allow us to see lots of goats, not necesarily looking for a trophy. Have researched area 41 a little bit, but Looking for any suggestions. Thanks
    The WY Website has lots of good information if you dig for it. The draw odds for the last 5 years or so are all available, and you can search by PP number in the special or regular draw, as well as the random. Then you can look at resident draw odds to see if there is any possability of left over tags.

Combine that information with Eastman's MRS, find a few units you are interested in, and call the appropriate game and fish office and ask for the number of the Biologist in that area. They can also give you the game wardens number (or you can get it from the WY game wardens association website). Make a list of questions you want to ask, then start making phone calls.

That really is the best way I know to figure out what you want to do on a given year. Things change so fast (with winter kills and range condition, etc) that it is hard for anyone that isn't on the ground all the time in a certain area to help much. About the best they can do is tell you what it was like last year (or a few years ago), or what they saw when they drove through the area on the way somewhere.

You will find all the biologists and Wardens more than happy to answer your questions (at least all the ones I've talked to over the years.)

Good luck in your search. You have a lot of options, even with just one point.
    Last edited by ChadH; 02-29-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It really is hard to have a bad antelope hunt in wyoming, especially when you are not looking for trophys. Find a unit with lots of public land and put in. It really is that simple, don't sweat it too much just have fun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the help. I have used tHe MRS and have a few areas in mind so I wil start making some calls. Thanks again

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd probably find a green unit and apply, if you hunt hard and pass over dinks you could end up with an awesome goat!

check out those odds! and re-read/examine them, if your odds are 60% say in the regular draw with 1 point, and 100% in the special, it may be worth the extra $250 or whatever to guarantee you a tag this fall.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good Luck Nwnn hunter - Hope it works out for you guys ! My son, myself and two close friends are planning our first antelope hunt to Wy in 2013. We are buying pp and researching maps and feed back from others, sometimes it's overwhelming but it sure sounds like a blast. New to antelope and new to this forum ! Seems to be alot of helpful advise from alot of good people. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ditto ChadH