Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 2 Posts

Back Country Tents??

So I am thinking about getting a new back country tent, as I usually just sleep in my bivy bag. I am wondering what everyone out there uses. I am thinking of getting the Eureka Solitaire 3 season tent. It seems to me that it would fit the bill, and coming in at only 2lbs 9oz, I think that this setup would work good. What tents do you use? I know Eastman's just reviewed a lot of back country tents in EBJ 65, but I didn't see any that would apply to my pocketbook right now as the least expensive one was $215.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I picked up the Alps Zephyr 2 for under $100 on sale, Its 4lb 12oz but it was really affordable. It might be heavier than you are looking for though. For my budget it was perfect.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/al...tents/zephyr-2

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    We use Hilleberg Akto one man tents... Hilleberg is a top notch tentmaker IMO... There are many tentmakers out there, however, there are very few that will give you season after season of great performance at a reduced/inexpensive price... I had to replace a Sierra designs 1 man because of that alone (leaky seams and deteriorated adhesive where taped in the tub sils/ poor ventilation= condensation and a small vestibule) ... If I would have saved up and made the Hilleberg tent my first choice, I actually would have saved money... As it is, I had to spend money on the first tent to learn that it wasn't my best decision...

I have heard a lot of guy's also like the Copper Spur UL1 by Big Agnes too... It's got a pricey tag also... Good Luck!
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I love my Tarptent Contrail.

Thanks
    Congratulations

RE: Solitaire

I have and use the soitiare. Small, light much like a bivy only a little bigger. Small vestibule and little internal storage room so have back up for gear storage in the rain. All in all, I like mine and will keep using it and at roughly 70.00 the price is right. Its held up for 3 years me, have had no problems with the poles like others report, although I let it go together as it wants not as I want, forcing it cause I am late and in a rush....

I think you'll like it as long as you don't plan on it being similiar to a two man-Jeff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with Graylight about the Hilleberg tents. I have the one person Soulo, a very well designed and built four season dome. You can set it up as a single wall or double wall tent, with or without floor. A tough four season in any configuration, and light weight compared to other 4 season tents I have carried. Being able to do a normal setup in the rain without getting water inside is nice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elk Hunting is just too much fun!.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	2843

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a seek outside 3man with stove that is a nice set up, but it can get expensive.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I agree with Graylight about the Hilleberg tents. I have the one person Soulo, a very well designed and built four season dome. You can set it up as a single wall or double wall tent, with or without floor. A tough four season in any configuration, and light weight compared to other 4 season tents I have carried. Being able to do a normal setup in the rain without getting water inside is nice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elk Hunting is just too much fun!.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	2843
    A little off what's being discussed rite now but that's a cool pic!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Brocka View Post
    I picked up the Alps Zephyr 2 for under $100 on sale, Its 4lb 12oz but it was really affordable. It might be heavier than you are looking for though. For my budget it was perfect.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/al...tents/zephyr-2
    I also grabbed this tent for a very resonable price and have been very happy with it. I have a full season in with it now both summer backpacking, and all season archery hunting. It's easy to setup and packs up nice too. The tent seems to be holding up well, and no complaints. I haven't had it any snow or harsh weather yet though so I guess that will be the test.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Get a hammock

I started using a camping hammock and haven't looked back since. I made my hammock, bugnet and tarp for around 90 bucks and it all weighs about 30 ounces. I use a pad in the hammock and stay toasty warm and wake up refreshed and ready for the day, with none of the aches and pains I had sleeping on the ground.

Patrick