Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I encourage anyone to do as I did, compare them side-by-side, and see what you think.
    I did do just that....in the field. I actually won a the Razor HD scope......ended up selling it, though. Not a bad scope at all.......I just saw a difference between the two. If price is not a consideration, I still feel the Swarovski is a better choice.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I gathered you did compare them, my advice was for the OP and others considering these spotters, to do just as you did, bohntr.

I wish I would have won a Razor.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Anybody ever compare the minox md88 to any of the perviously mentioned spotters?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All - Today I had the opportunity to look through a swaro and vortex HD model side by side outside. I did so at two different times. Early in the morning (not first light but it was overcast) and then during bright sun light later in the day. I can tell you I was amazed by the Vortex. The swaro priced at 3100 and the vortex at 1500. I can tell you that IMO

Clairity - Equal
    Field of View - Swaro
    Price - Vortex
    Swaro appears less bulky

I obviously don't have a lot of experience with the spotting scopes but I didn't see anything that would make me go. "I want to spend and extra 1500 to buy the swaro" .

So I see a swaro HD in my future.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by crumy View Post
    All - Today I had the opportunity to look through a swaro and vortex HD model side by side outside. I did so at two different times. Early in the morning (not first light but it was overcast) and then during bright sun light later in the day. I can tell you I was amazed by the Vortex. The swaro priced at 3100 and the vortex at 1500. I can tell you that IMO

Clairity - Equal
    Field of View - Swaro
    Price - Vortex
    Swaro appears less bulky

I obviously don't have a lot of experience with the spotting scopes but I didn't see anything that would make me go. "I want to spend and extra 1500 to buy the swaro" .

So I see a swaro HD in my future.
    So, crumy, I am a little confused by your post. You didn't see anything that would make you want to spend the extra dough, but you see spending the extra in your future?

On the field of view: The newest Swaros are usually coming with the 25-50 wide-angle angle eyepiece. The Vortex 20-60 has the identical field of view specs as the Swaro 20-60 eyepiece.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd buy the vortex and have 1600 left to buy other equipment!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You are right.. I meant I see a RAZOR in my future. I guess I am still dealing with the shock that I'm not getting the scope that I spent a 6 months researching. 8-) And yes Jay. I have the money set aside for it so that means there may be some other "stuff" .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts

How does the "non-HD" Swarovski spotting scope compare?

I am also looking for an "80mm" spotter and have also narrowed it to a Swarovski or Razor, so this may be a good thread to ask my questions. I started using Swarovski binoculars and spotting scopes about 15 years ago, and am totally sold on their products and warranty work. However, the excellent reports and the advertised warranty on Vortex has me giving them a serious look this time around.

I have been using a "non-HD" Swarovski 65 spotter for several years now. Last fall while hunting Colorado, I was trying to size up a mule deer buck at first light and desperately needed more light gathering. I believe if I go with one of the bigger 80mm+ spotters that will help considerably in that area. I plan to keep my Swarovski 65 for when I want to lessen weight and bulk, therefore I already own the Swarovski 20-60x eyepiece. Here are the questions I am hung up on:

1. HD versus NON-HD: Since I already have the Swarovski eyepiece, I am thinking of going with the non-HD Swarovski 80 (body only) with is similarly priced to the Razor HD 85 (complete scope with eyepiece). How do you think these two scopes will compare optically? One shop that specializes in hunting optics said that with the naked eye I would really not see much difference between an HD and non-HD Swarovski and this difference is mainly seen when digiscoping. If that is true, I can live with that. If I would have a hard time distinguishing a difference (optically) between the "non-HD" Swarovski 80 to a Razor HD 85, I will go with the Swarovski.

2. MOUNTING: This is a lesser issue but still important to me. I have been using my Swarovski scope with a Manfrotto tripod and have found that the mounting foot on the Swarovski spotter will clamp in directly without the need for an adapter plate. I really like that feature! Does anyone know if the Razor HD 85 will also mount directly in the Manfrotto head without the need for an adapter plate?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UH:

My thoughts on your questions.

1. The non-HD Swaro spotters show significantly more Chromatic Aberration than the HD Swaro or Razor HD. Whether or not you see CA I couldn't say. Some people just don't seem to notice it. If this is the case the non-HD will serve you well. As I have stated before, I find the image in the Razor HD comparable to the Swaro HD, and a step above the non-HD.

2. The Razor HD's foot DOES mount in the Manfrotto head without a plate. However, it fits the long way rather than the wide way the Swaro foot fits. So, if it is a ball head, you are good to go. If it is the 700 RC2 head, it will also work well. If it is the 128 RC head, you will have to use an adapter plate. The foot will fit, but the scope will be pointing to the side.
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 04-16-2012 at 12:48 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've been told that as well about the hd vs non hd. I have never looked through hd glass, I have the 80mm non hd and really like it. It is also lighter than the razor. I'm sure there is a difference in optical quality, is it worth the extra $, I guess that is based upon the individual. I really don't think you can go wrong either way umpqua, it would be nice to stay with same brand as far as operations and familiarity though.

Bb, how do you know all of those model numbers and differences, geez.