Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    Bb, how do you know all of those model numbers and differences, geez.
    I am a real geek about optics, DRH. Come to think about it, I am just a real geek I guess.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 6 Posts
    Thanks BB for two very good answers. I am not terribly familiar with the term chromatic aberration, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. I can see why improved CA would be beneficial. I have had times where there seems to be a bit of a "blue" shift and that I cannot get that razor sharp "focus" I'm after, so I'm thinking CA could be a factor. I've been hunting for a B&C class antelope the last few years and will draw the top unit in Arizona in 2013. I would like to take every advantage to see every nuance when sizing up antelope

I am using the Manfrotto 128 RC head, in fact this winter I got a great deal on a used 128 RC head and a Manfrotto window mount clamp. Can't wait to try that this fall. I am gonna finally get rid of the cheap jerky window mount I have been using for years!!!

About 7 years ago I owned one of the older grey bodied (no rubber armor) Swarovski 80 spotting scopes. I had a real bad experience with the adapter plates constantly coming loose. Even with the set screws, it just tore up the bottom of the mounting plate on the scope. I don't recall there being detents on that scope base for the set screws to fix into so that may have been the problem. If I could mount an adapter plate to the Razor and know it would solidly stay put I would seriously consider going with the Vortex. Any thoughts there?

DR...I'm with ya on the familiarity with Swarovski. The improved CA really has me thinking though. It's kinda painful to think of making a switch...lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UH,

I use my Razor HD on the 128RC quite often. Today, in fact. I actually torque the QR plate on with a little twist of the leatherman. It doesn't come loose often, and hasn't damaged the foot at all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    With your kind of money, go for the swarovski! Just kidding. Buy once cry once

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 6 Posts
    After selling off some toys this winter, I've got about $1700 to do this with. After what BB said about chromatic aberration, I really am thinking about the Razor more seriously. Also by buying a Razor, I would then have two complete scopes with eyepieces (Swaro 65 & Razor). That would be handy when my wife and I are cruising around in the truck checking out antelope. I see Eagle Optics has a 30 day return policy so that would be a great way to give the Razor a good try out. If you buy quality optics, they retain their value pretty well if you want to upgrade later.

BTW is Eagle Optics the same as Vortex, they both appear to be at the same address?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    They have a killer deal on Zeiss right now if you want to up your budget a few hundred dollars. 2k. I also know where you can get a used zeiss for 1500$ with tripod and pelican case. About 8 years old but gently used

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have done a lot of research, asking people and the final test of comparing side by side my initial choice (swaro 80 HD) to a vortex 85 hd. I can honestly say that I will have no buyers remorse for going with the vortex. Seems to be a great product. Talked to several people who have used the warranty and believe that I will be saving money and getting an great product with the vortex. Soon people maybe using the vortex as the baseline instead of swaro.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Eagle Optics and Vortex are sister companies. There are a lot of good Vortex dealers, however.

UH, I sent you a PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    We do a "bat shoot" here in Australia at night.

We have these little yellow targets with black bats on them and we put them out there at 300 yards. Then we get to sniping the bats and who ever has the most bats, the smallest group, and the most points wins.

Looking at a 2 inch wide black mark on a yellow target a 10 pm takes a lot of optic. Most of the rifle scopes are seriously challenged. The Trijicon 5-20x50 I am using sure is.

But what is a very interesting comparison is the quality between spotting scopes. I had always though Leica was toward the top, and that just isn't the case. Of the 3 companies the Ziess is the best "night" spotter, and the best day spotter. All these are 80-85mm objective using similar powers. I wish I knew more about the individual scopes, as they don't belong to me I don't have all the specs.

I think if you buy the absolute best spotting scope made you will never replace it. Same goes for binoculars.