Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

So Lets Break This Forum In With A Hunting Post - Backpack hunt in X9A

So planning time for this fall is in full swing. I have already drawn a bull elk tag in the Big Horns in Wyoming and have been working with another hunter for a Antelope hunt in Wyoming, but I have a problem with it. I plan on moving from California this year and have enough points to draw X9A. I also have max points for Desert Big Horns and Elk, but both of those tags are long shots at best, but with 3 points I have a pretty good shot at X9A. The problem is that the seasons for the Wyoming Antelope hunt and X9A run the same. I could do both and split the season, spend the first couple weeks in the Sierra's then head for Wyoming for the last two weeks of Antelope season and then stay for the duration of my elk hunt. Or just make a decision and concentrate on either a Mule Deer hunt in California or Antelope hunt in Wyoming. I can always wait until next year to hunt Antelope in Wyoming and book my points (4). I don't figure on spending the gas or extra money for non-resident tags to come back to California when I can find just as good if not better mule deer hunting in other states. Hopefully I'll be a resident of New Mexico, this year I have 2 points for deer in Colorado and 4 points for general deer in Utah so the future looks good in other states.

I have hunted X9A many times, three times with a bow and four with a rifle and have taken my best deer there and five mulies in the seven hunts. I have always hunted a particular streach of the unit and always day hiked in or spot and stalked from the truck. If I decide to hunt X9A for one last time I would love to pack in somewhere, but really don't know an area to check out. I figure I would have plenty of time for a scout trip come summer time and could easily get to the unit a week or even two weeks before the start of the season. I have been thinking of finding a place somewhere between Sherwin Summit and Mammoth or from Lee Vining to the north border of the unit (Virginia Lakes). I usually hunt the west side of 395 but have taken two deer on the east side. I would love to hear some feedback regarding packing in on either side of 395. I know that the east side does not get near the pressure as the west, but the deer are more scattered too.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, maybe best to PM if talking of specific places. Any help would be appreciated, feel free in add your opinion regarding my decision between an X9A Mule Deer hunt and/or a Wyoming Antelope hunt.

And thanks for reconizing California and their hunters by giving us our own forum catagory

Thanks
    Congratulations
    NoMoreOldNo7, Is it really going to be that hard to get a antelope, that it would take two weeks. I'm not sure what zone your going to for antelope, but the buddys I'm going to start going with, do a weekend trip to wyoming and always tag out pretty quick? If that's your luck you should be able to take your time and be selective in X9a. I would also like to do a pack-in trip in x9a in a few years, good luck in the x9a draw, I hope you draw a tag, being you won't be putting in here anymore. That's a shame you never got drawn for ca bighorn....by by points.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I second Muleys 24/7 thoughts. X9A would be a nice going away from CA as a present. If you get drawn it sure would be nice to be able to hunt it as it sounds like it holds some nice hunting memories for you.

I've seen guys get drawn with 3 points for X12 going back to when it started with the preference point system when hunting with a party. X12 is a public zone that holds some nice memories for me as well to hunt the high country. I think X9A has pretty much has the same odds although it all depends with the luck of draw too. Sounds like 3 points has been your magic number as well at least.

Best wishes to you NoMoreOldNo7 on your move to NM. I hope all your future hunts and draws for tags will be successful for you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with Muleys 24/7 and Kevin, Give yourself a week for your Wyoming Antelope hunt and kill yourself a respectable goat, high 70's or maybe even touching into the 80's. Spend the rest of your time planning and scouting your X9A country. Sounds like you have some positive history in X9A. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with all of the above posts. Your gonna make yourself sick if you stare at those Antelope for more than a week. Anymore I Strictly trophy hunt them and I don't put in a week. The only way I'd put in a week was if I was hunting a migration area at the tail end of the season and looking for a Non-typical. I say, make that last draw in that X zone one to remember.

So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys, sounds like sound advice to me. I love the country in X9A and do have many good memories of hunting and fishing there. My partner has spoken with the bilogist for our Antelope unit and he told him it wouldn't be uncommon for us to see a 100 bucks a day so I think I'll take the prevailing opinion and spend some quality time in X9a for a last hurrah then head up to Wyoming.

And Kevin, X12 has some great spots as well. I have a cousin that lives in Bridgeport and sees some awsome bucks up there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreOldNo7 View Post
    Thanks guys, sounds like sound advice to me. I love the country in X9A and do have many good memories of hunting and fishing there. My partner has spoken with the bilogist for our Antelope unit and he told him it wouldn't be uncommon for us to see a 100 bucks a day so I think I'll take the prevailing opinion and spend some quality time in X9a for a last hurrah then head up to Wyoming.

And Kevin, X12 has some great spots as well. I have a cousin that lives in Bridgeport and sees some awsome bucks up there.
    I am also loading up on out of state hunts and should draw a Wy Antelope tag this year. It will also be in the same time frame as other hunts I'm planning. I am going to give 4 days to find a 80"+ goat in Wy and plan on a full 10 days to Mule Deer. I think you will have no problem finding a respectable goat in Wy with much less time then you are thinking. I would put in a hard hunt for the Ca X zone tag and fined a toad for your Last Ca buck as a Res. Good luck! Don't forget to post pics!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My nefew took a 5x6 just about lee Vining and his dad settle for a nice folkie.
    Good Luck in our decision.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You could buy a lifetime hunting lience for ca and still put in for the ca tags a res.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have hunted a16 for about 15 years have taken great bucks out of there never only 1 pny class though I have the same mind set on packing in this year for the first time is also be interested to hear if anyone has any info on bicycle style hunts in that zone been doin a ton of research using topos google earth etc I am also lookin at packin into d7 from that side