Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

CO. Unit 21 or Unit 61?

I have 6 archery points right now as a non-resident. I have been studying these units for some time, but am
    wondering if anyone can give me their personal thoughts on which unit I should apply for. Anyone who may have hunted both or at least knows a little bit about one or the other. I have never hunted mule deer so this will be the first
    time. I have hunted elk for several years in various units. I want a bivouac style backcountry hunt if possible. Is there remote country in either one of these units? Any tidbits or just hiking knowledge of either unit would be nice just to get a gauge of which unit I should try for. Thx

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    Both units you are speaking are not bivy or backpack hunts... Both are thick and cannot be glassed very well. If you like wide open country, you will be dissappointed. On the other hand, there are good numbers of mature deer in both units, however, if memory serves me right, I believe the DOW starts the elk hunt in 61 during the archery as well. Which stirs everything up pretty good, as there is no elevation difference where the animals concentrate because the country is mostly quakies and oak brush. 21 has lot's of private chunks... There's ton's of hunters working the public that is available... I hope this helps...
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's kind of what I thought. It appeared to not have much remote country for my style of hunting. What would be the best way to hunt either unit? I was definitely interested in some spot and stalk type of country but your saying it is thick and not really that type of hunt?? Should I be looking at a different unit? Just been trying to build points for the best unit to shoot a decent buck with good archery harvest success. Now maybe I should reconsider.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    Honestly almost every unit on the West slope will have decent bucks... Most have Good bucks. You have the chance to do a little spot n stalk in 21 but it is pretty limited because of the oak brush being way over your head... One minute you see something, then next you see nothing! Very frustrating for my hunting style... Like most people here, i don't think anyone will hand out a unit to go hunt but there are many places to look, maybe check out the high country above 12,000 ft. if you want to spot n stalk.
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    Some of the best archery bucks each year come from unit 61........I've seen some giants in the transition zones between aspens and oak brush. Some of the best genetics in the state come from that plateau. When I hunted it, I was able to still-hunt and spot and stalk. It's doable.....just not an above timberline type hunt.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthoek21 View Post
    I have 6 archery points right now as a non-resident. I have been studying these units for some time, but am
    wondering if anyone can give me their personal thoughts on which unit I should apply for. Anyone who may have hunted both or at least knows a little bit about one or the other. I have never hunted mule deer so this will be the first
    time. I have hunted elk for several years in various units. I want a bivouac style backcountry hunt if possible. Is there remote country in either one of these units? Any tidbits or just hiking knowledge of either unit would be nice just to get a gauge of which unit I should try for. Thx
    If you decide on unit 61 let me know. I may be mule deer hunting there this year. A friend should have enough points for a muzzy tag and I have enough for archery. He has way more points than me so he might decide on a rifle tag in a different unit instead?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks CoHiCntry. I am definitly leaning towards giving 61 a shot. Just wish I knew what to expect. I guess that is the dilemna when you live this far away. I have 6pts and my buddy has 5pts. We may not get drawn but I am starting to research just in case. I was really hoping one could get into some remote ares in this unit but I guess not. Either way if it is good with lots of good bucks I will just have to get in there and get after it. At least it is a draw unit so maybe between elk and deer hunters there is still plenty of room without too many people encounters. Who knows maybe that helps to. Have you hunted here before? I will definitly give you a heads up if we draw. Thx

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthoek21 View Post
    Thanks CoHiCntry. I am definitly leaning towards giving 61 a shot. Just wish I knew what to expect. I guess that is the dilemna when you live this far away. I have 6pts and my buddy has 5pts. We may not get drawn but I am starting to research just in case. I was really hoping one could get into some remote ares in this unit but I guess not. Either way if it is good with lots of good bucks I will just have to get in there and get after it. At least it is a draw unit so maybe between elk and deer hunters there is still plenty of room without too many people encounters. Who knows maybe that helps to. Have you hunted here before? I will definitly give you a heads up if we draw. Thx
    Yes, I've hunted on the plateau a lot. You won't have to deal with to much crowding in 61 since the tags are limited. PM me sometime if you want.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Get some topo maps/Uncompahgre Nat. Forest map. I am looking at the NF map now. I spend a lot of time near there in the summer fishing. There are lots of roads throught the unit. Most of the private property is in the SW part. There are also a lot of PP areas in the middle, but in guessing 10 % or so. I am sure there are a lot of fences in the unit because of the grazing leases. Expect to see livestock. I don't recall any elevations that are above timberline.Call the FS @ the Norwood Office, (303) 327-4261. That is the closest.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 03-13-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Colorado Cowboy. I will give them a call. CoHiCntry I will PM you sometime just to get an overview. I appreciate your help.