Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dang, at 5 I am have been chasing both these units and getting banged by the point creep. Thinking of just doing a unit 30 2nd season rifle instead.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I feel your pain Zim. It seems to always be just out of reach. Every year I think I have enough. Seems we used to be neighbors. I lived in Grande Park(neighborhood) Plainfield for 3 years. Had to get back south. Definitely glad to get back home.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthoek21 View Post
    I feel your pain Zim. It seems to always be just out of reach. Every year I think I have enough. Seems we used to be neighbors. I lived in Grande Park(neighborhood) Plainfield for 3 years. Had to get back south. Definitely glad to get back home.
    Haha, My 2011 New Mexico bull is in Plainfield right now, at my taxidermist. Are you going to join the army of Georgia bowhunters who migrate to JEPC every November? I can't pull in one lot there without seeing a peach license plate.

Ya there's no value to building up more than 5 or 6 deer points in CO because the quality is spread out. Wish I had some other state draw results before picking. If I had only 1 point I'd apply for a high country archery hunt. That is what I want to start doing after I burn these. I think I'll go for the 30 rifle. Should get it.
    Last edited by Zim; 03-16-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Ron

Personally I wouldn't waste my points on unit 61.I live around Montrose and know unit 61&62 very well,since they both are in my back yard.I've seen bigger bucks in 62 and you don't need very many points.Unit 21 is producing some stud bucks now,but be sure to watch out for private property,and can be a little rougher terrain to hunt.Unit 44 is also a sleeper again.High country hunts during archery and muzzle are the way to go,but can be physically harder do to altitude. Almost all the high country units in sw co are great and don't require a ton of points. Allow yourself a couple days to acclimate
    to higher elevations,9000ft plus.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Ron. I talked with the Game Warden today about 61. He also said the quality was not that great in 61. This will be my first ever mule deer hunt and I am looking for good quality and decent numbers. My biggest whitetail is low 160's and I would like to shoot something at least that size...although when Bowhunting I know you can't always be picky. 21 is definitely on the radar as well as 66 and 70. My dilemma is I have 6 pts and obviously hate to burn that many on a 2-3 pt unit. 21 is suppose to have high success but doesn't sound like the style I'm looking for. I would prefer to be able to bivouac at least 3-4 miles back into a secluded area. I was told 21 has a lot of roads due to all the oil wells. Does anyone else have any feelings on 21, 66, or 70? Tick tock the clock is ticking. I am gonna have to make a decision real soon. Can anyone make this any harder??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have you looked at unit 63? Unit 66 has a low archery kill percentage, why I dont know. One of the game wardens checked a 236 last year in a unit I had considered for rifle, just saying like people before me, there are good deer in most units. Look at the MRS for archery this year if you havent already. The tip sheets are not posted, if you want one call CDW and ask for an email of the unit you are considering.
    I did learn that during archery season the Continental Divide over flights see some gaints.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Ron. I talked with the Game Warden today about 61. He also said the quality was not that great in 61. This will be my first ever mule deer hunt and I am looking for good quality and decent numbers. My biggest whitetail is low 160's and I would like to shoot something at least that size...although when Bowhunting I know you can't always be picky. 21 is definitely on the radar as well as 66 and 70. My dilemma is I have 6 pts and obviously hate to burn that many on a 2-3 pt unit. 21 is suppose to have high success but doesn't sound like the style I'm looking for. I would prefer to be able to bivouac at least 3-4 miles back into a secluded area. I was told 21 has a lot of roads due to all the oil wells. Does anyone else have any feelings on 21, 66, or 70? Tick tock the clock is ticking. I am gonna have to make a decision real soon. Can anyone make this any harder??
    I don't think you can go wrong by choosing unit 70, I'm not convienced units 66 & 67 have recovered from the winter 0f '07.I travel through these units all the time ,ice fishing and coyote hunting, and I'm not seeing the mature bucks anywhere near the numbers they should be. I think 160+ bucks, if conditions are right, should be fairly easy to accomplish.Plus there is some awesome country.Go with 70.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    21 is suppose to have high success but doesn't sound like the style I'm looking for. I would prefer to be able to bivouac at least 3-4 miles back into a secluded area. I was told 21 has a lot of roads due to all the oil wells. Does anyone else have any feelings on 21, 66, or 70? Tick tock the clock is ticking. I am gonna have to make a decision real soon. Can anyone make this any harder??
    Ya, you're right. 21 is not the hunt for you if you want to pretend you're Cameron Hanes. I just hunted it this year and the unit is packed with hunters and roads.