Thanks

GoPro or ContourRoam??

Looking into buying either a GoPro or ContourRoam to film hunts. Wondering if anyone has experience with either camera? Which is better to film hunts?
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    I have a GoPro HD Hero2 I got for this year that I am going to use this hunting season, It doesn't have zoom so its for up close footage only, What I did like about it is that you can change the settings to turn the "Beeping" off when you start/end recording or power the camera on/off. The GoPro is very user friendly and is small and compact, You can mount that thing anywhere. I don't have any experience with the ContourRoam so i cant really compare. Just a few perks of the GoPro. Hope that helps!

Brock

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brocka For This Useful Post:

spotnstalk1 (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    I have a HD Hero GoPro but I have not used the Contour. They both look similar in specs, waterproof, wide angle 170 degree lens, SD card. The GoPro has the 170 degree lens in 720p and a 127 degree in 1080p mode now.

As far as filming goes to me they both look like filler shot cameras due to the lens. One could film a whole hunting trip as long as you or the camera are fairly closeup to the objects. The GoPro's fixed lens has a 2' min focus distance but due to the wide angle it really is not well suited for anything very far out. You would have to be right on the animal to get a decent kill shot filmed and or real close to your subject, 2'-15' or so seems to capture well. If you go to GoPro's web site most if all the good example sample films are mounted camera closeup work and it might give you a idea or two on setting up similar shots for your hunt. http://gopro.com/videos/

The GoPro is a good camera and I'm not knocking it. It is a very lightweight camera. I just think it does not fill the all the desired check list for the, "one stop shop filming camera for filming hunts". If you do film a hunt I hope you will post it here on the forum and show us your hunt.
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 03-05-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: found a typo

Thanks

I just saw this clip from last October, 2011 on GoPro's YouTube. I thought the filmmaker put together a good set of shots, slow motion, time lapse, action, etc..... With some good thought, filming and editing one can put together a nice film using a GoPro camera. Only thing that was missing in all I've seen so far on their site was one on hunting .
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 03-05-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    cool video
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    The GoPro is a good camera, but kinda bulky (if your mounting it on your head) and the waterproof housing is a pain. The Contour is a little less bulky as it mounts to the side of your head and it is mostly water proof right out of the box, if you get the more expensive model. I did a review on these here at WesternOutdoors website.
    If your not mounting it on your head the GoPro is a great camera, and very easy to use and durable.
    hunting is a multibillion dollar industry, without it wildlife numbers would dwindle
    www.westernoutdoors.com