Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ultra light arms in .284 It is not a 800 yard gun ( maybe at the range but not across a canyon) but at 500 yards it is the perfect mountain rifle. Shooting 150 gr barnes ttsx and topped w/ leupold vx3 4.5 x 14 lr, it is like carrying a kids gun!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    BTW, I love the idea of the 6.5 Creed for an 800 yard gun.
    I agree. I have a Savage short action that "needs" a new barrel and stock I was going to buy a Benchmark Barrel and McMillan Stock for it and turn it into a 6.5 Creedmore. After adding up the cost of that, I may just go with a stock Savage LRH in 6.5 Creed ($775) and order a stock later....

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good call, chances are your new Savage will shoot anyway. And you could do a another stock for $250-750 and be set.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is an interesting topic for me, I have been considering building a lighweight rifle for mountain muley and elk hunting for several years. I haven't done anything because I haven't decided exactly what I want. If I want to do it with just one gun I'd go with a 7WSM or 300WSM in a Browning A-bolt Mountain TI with a Vias brake added. If I want to do 2 guns I'd go with the 300WSM for elk, and build a custom 6.5x284 or 260 rem. I carry my rifle in an eberlestock scabbard often also, so a shorter overall length keeps the stock from sticking way over my head. Problem with that is that every cartridge I like benefits greatly from a longer barrel.

While I am debating all this, I keep hunting with the custom gun I had built when a friend went through gunsmith school. It's seen THOUSANDS of rounds starting as a factory 7 mag. When my friend needed guns to work on he re-barelled it to a 300 win for the price of parts. When I shot that barrel out and developed a substantial flinch doing it, it got it's 3rd barrel in 264 win mag. The 264 is my favorite, and what it will stay. I like the light recoil, great penetration, and good ballistics. It weighs 10.5lbs with it's 4.5x14 Leupold CDS scope, ammo, and sling but it's easy to shoot well and just seems to be lucky. It's taken a 198" whitetail and a 200" muley, plus lots of other game, coyotes, prairie dogs, etc for me over the years and I just keep using it. I wanted to shoot 140gr Bergers in this rifle but it just hasn't ever shot them well. It does shoot 140gr accubonds very well and they have awesome terminal performance with decent ballistics. I shoot 600 practicing alot, but I'm not quite consistent enough to feel comfortable shooting game that far. I shoot alot kneeling from my Stoney Point Rapid Pivot bipod and spend alot of my practice time shooting 200-350yds that way. It gets me high enough to clear most grass or sage, and is real quick to get into. I try real hard to get prone for longer shots.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    264 is kind of perfect.

Personally for me, I would build a Surgeon actioned, 26-28 inch barreled 6.5, 7mm or 338 rifle (338 with a 3 port dispersion type break like Shawn Carlock uses on his 338 Edge).

I like the idea of a carbon fiber wrapped barrel, but I know that the odds are against them working as well. If carbon fiber was so great all the Benchrest and F-Class shooters would be doing it. None are. Saying that I'd use a 7 or 8 contour barrel, and I'd flute it. Though I would spray the Cerakote on the metal until I was damn sure the barrel would shoot, and if I had to chamber 5 barrels to make it work I would.

I'd use a McMillan A-5 or A Hole stock, or a Manners stock, like I did on my rifle.

Spurh mount

And I'd use a 2 stage trigger

And I would find a 34mm, 35mm, or 40mm rifle scope with a 56 or greater objective IOR, Ziess, Schmidt Bender with a 5-25 (or close to that power window).

Then I would spend a lot of time wearing out the barrel.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Edelweiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I could only pick one Cal. it would be the .270 Win.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would never again own a 270, as for me it is too much of a comprimise.

I don't know why we don't have a commercial 6.5-06 cartridge in America. The Germans have the excellent 6.5x65 (30-06 case) and a beltless magnum in the 6.5x58 Schuler, of course they also have the very crappy 6.5x65 Rimmed, and it has horrible brass. As well as a couple mild mannered 6.5x57, 6.5x57 Rimmed, and of course all the old 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5x54 MS, and Groenig came up with the 6.5x47 cartridge for Lapua.

I am thinking about wildcatting the 375 Ruger into a 6.5.

I am building a 10.3x416 Ruger using the Swiss 10.3 VLD bullets machined from copper. I want to try them on bears when I get back home to Alaska. Probably just do it on a Howa 1500, we ordered the barrel from Lothar Walther.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mthuntress View Post
    If I could only pick one Cal. it would be the .270 Win.
    As much as I like my 264WM, I'm honestly not out-performing the 270 with my rifle and the load it likes. They both shoot 140gr accubonds with very similar ballistic coeffecients at around 3000fps. There isn't much not to like about the 270 unless you get away from standard hunting bullets into VLD type projectiles. I've done alot of research since my first post and have ruled out the 6.5x284 and 260 Rem for my use and the action I have decided to build on. I'm debating between a 280 ackley with a 24" barrel, and a plain old 270 win with a 23" barrel.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A .270 is a great all around cartridge. It may not be THE best at any one thing, but does a lot of things very adequately. It is not CURRENTLY my favorite round, but that seems to change from time to time Right now I am loving my 7mm WSM. I have always liked .264 win, and have a few others I would love to try (6.5 x .284 is one of them along with 6.5 Creedmore)

If you are thinking about a .270 here is a good article from LongRangeHunting.com http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...shooting-1.php

Of course, if you are using a barrel as long as he is (28" I think) you are going to change a lot over ballistics in "factory Standard" barrels of 20-24", but worth a thought.

Chad

Thanks
    Congratulations
    wildcat a .370sako(9.3x66 I believe) into a 6.5mm??

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    I would never again own a 270, as for me it is too much of a comprimise.

I don't know why we don't have a commercial 6.5-06 cartridge in America. The Germans have the excellent 6.5x65 (30-06 case) and a beltless magnum in the 6.5x58 Schuler, of course they also have the very crappy 6.5x65 Rimmed, and it has horrible brass. As well as a couple mild mannered 6.5x57, 6.5x57 Rimmed, and of course all the old 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5x54 MS, and Groenig came up with the 6.5x47 cartridge for Lapua.

I am thinking about wildcatting the 375 Ruger into a 6.5.

I am building a 10.3x416 Ruger using the Swiss 10.3 VLD bullets machined from copper. I want to try them on bears when I get back home to Alaska. Probably just do it on a Howa 1500, we ordered the barrel from Lothar Walther.