Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali_hornhunter View Post
    Hey mcseal post a pic of your barrel whenever your get it wanna see what it looks like cuase im considering getting a pac nor barrel also thanks
    Still waiting on the barrel. It should have shipped last week but they are running behind. Since this project keeps getting delayed I just bought a Ruger American on the 4th to play with. I was real impressed with the handling and the accuracy reviews I've seen so far are very good. It won't hurt to have another 270 as a back-up gun when I get the custom one built anyway. I'll post a review after I get it set-up, broke in, and get to doing some range work. The 100+ degree heat will delay serious range work a little though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    mcseal2 will you be starting load work with 130 or 140 gr. bullets? Those Accubonds sure seem to be a great bullet and my testing so far has shown that to be true as did the bullet out of my boy's elk last fall. It performed perfectly. I load for a friend with a 270 and 130 gr. Partitions. The Accubonds weren't made yet when I worked up a load for him.

I use H4831SC and did my load work with Federal 215 match magnum primers. It sure works well and shoots great for him. I'm excited to see how your project comes along. The least you could do is put some pictures up here so we can drool on the screen, I mean seriously, we need to see something!
    David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is the first time I have actually sat down and read all the post on this thread...interesting. Let me start by asking...What is a "Mountain Rifle". I know I am going to get a lot of different answers. Therein lies the problem, everyone has a different idea, hence different solutions.

What should it weigh? My factory Wby MkV .257 weighs a bit over 9 lbs. (with a Leupold VX III 3.5x10 50 mm). My sons Rem 600 in .243 with a custom McMillan stock ( with a Leupold VX III 4x14 40mm) weight right at 7. There is a big difference in performance, but no comparison in weight. My Ruger 25-06 is a few ozs heavier.

What kind of performance is required? Thats like asking what is the best PU truck...Ford or Chevy. Everybody had their own ideas. How far do you think you need to (or CAN!) shoot? I think our own individual limitations will dictate that more than most anyone will admit.

Bottom line is that (at least for me) that my 25-06 Ruger M77 or the Wby .257 will suffice quite nicely.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
    mcseal2 will you be starting load work with 130 or 140 gr. bullets? Those Accubonds sure seem to be a great bullet and my testing so far has shown that to be true as did the bullet out of my boy's elk last fall. It performed perfectly. I load for a friend with a 270 and 130 gr. Partitions. The Accubonds weren't made yet when I worked up a load for him.

I use H4831SC and did my load work with Federal 215 match magnum primers. It sure works well and shoots great for him. I'm excited to see how your project comes along. The least you could do is put some pictures up here so we can drool on the screen, I mean seriously, we need to see something!
    David
    I don't have anything to take pictures of yet. My gunsmith is supposed to bring the Ruger home with him tonight though. I left it with him to get the scope mounted. I'm going to start out with 140gr accubonds and my line-up of Hodgdon Extreme powder. I already have a CDS turret made for a .277 140gr accubond at 3000fps so I'm going to see if I can get there with good accuracy. If not I'll build a new turret, I'm more concerned with accuracy than trying to make it fit. I'm not sure if I will get 3000fps from the 22" barrel anyway. The custom 270 is in pieces, I have the action and all accompanying parts in a gallon ziplock from when we removed the old barrel and am waiting for everything else. Once the barrel arrives and is installed I'll send it off for a stock. Then it will be picture worthy. I'll get pictures of the barrel when it arrives also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My choice is the Rem 7mm, shooting 168 Bergers @ 3017 fps. The 7mm works for anything in north america and is a long range round delux. About the only thing it give up is 30% less recoil.
    On game larger than mule deer, black bear, and elk I would change bullets for more penetration and less fragmentration for large bear. The Bergers do as advertised, having recovered and weghted a berger bullet from a large black bear. The big bc makes shooting in the wind less troubling. I use a Browning SS Stalker with brake and boss detachable clip with a VX7 4.5-18x56 low mounted scope. Wt is 10 lbs with sling and no ammo. Gun shoot 600 yds under a minute in a 15mph cross wind.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Ruger American is shooting extremely well with 140gr accubonds and 58gr of H4831SC. Groups so far are averaging .640" at 100yds. I've been using 3 shot groups, the light barrel heats quickly at 100 degrees outside temp. Haven't got it on the chronograph yet. Still haven't seen my barrel from Pac-Nor yet either, I need to call them again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would like to respond the carbon fiber wrapped barrel comment. I have christesen arms in 300 rum that shoots great and only weighs 7 lbs 9oz with scope and ammunition. It has become my go to gun. It is absolutely been amazing to shoot on hot days and not have any problems with barrel heating like other high speed magnums I have owned. Also there are guns showing up in long range shooting comp. with carbon wraps, not for weight as much as for barrel cooling aspect. If you don't think carbon wrapped barrel doesn't shoot look at the vortex shoot I believe was held in Utah. The long range pursuit show had it on last year. They sent a team, but the top shooting teams came from christesen arms. I think the reason you haven't seen more carbon wrapped barrels is fact that only christesen arms was producing them. But now there are more compainies out there you will see more of them. I have even seen pics of ruger m77 with carbon barrel. I don't think its been put in production but I did see a show with the Ruger president using on hunt in Spain I think. It was chamber in 6.5 creedmoor if my memory is correct.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    .280 140 gn accubonds
    nuff said

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been shooting a 270 WSM in a Sako Finnlight. Great shooter. Light recoil and plenty of ammo choices. Very flat trajectory with enough downrange power to hunt most North American game.