Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jacks Cabin Colorado (betweeen Gunnison and Crested Butte )
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

colorado unit 67 archery mule deer

I'm thinking of applying for unit 67 archery M.D. I live nearby and know the unit but I've never scouted it out during that time of year. I'll probally have an antalope tag as well. Thats why I'm considering mule deer as well. My question is has anyone out there hunted it for mullies? Am I wasting a point because of limited high country within the unit? Has anyone been successful there recently? Did you see any bucks in the lower elevations? I'm not interested in your secret spot I'm just interested in your opinion of weather this unit is worth it because I could easily draw other units I'm more familiar with. Thanks for your opinions I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have not but I plan to hunt 3rd season rifle. I know the CDW does a count during your archery season and one of them told me about seeing some really good deer on the divide.
    Have you huntednear Angel Pass? I camped above CB and watched deer every evening on the ridge below the pass.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xtreme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    That is a great unit, with great potential... You are hunting the Gunnison genetics... Only obstacle you will have is limited high country... With that said, if you go to the high country there, you will find a good buck! I wouldn't hesitate to hunt it if you want a crack at a good deer 170-190 is a real possibility with hard work.
    "This is A Way of Life"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Graylight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Graylight...what's your take on unit 66 for archery? Have you hunted this unit? Non-resident took 4 pts last year. Looks like this could be a decent unit. Just wondering if 2008 took too much of a toll?? 4 yr olds could be virtually non-existent but hey I would take a 5 or 6 yr old...right?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    The bigger bucks from what I have seen tend to stay in the timber and feed out into the avalanche chutes in that country, then bed up in the dark-timber during the day... For whatever reason, I have not seen many bucks above timberline there... However, there are a few really good bucks in there and I'm sure if you hunted hard/smart, you would find a B&C muley...
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Graylight. I am down to decision time. 21?, 61?, & 66? 66 sounds more like the style I am use to. Everything I hear about 21 is not that
    great. Have call in to game warden to double check.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've heard 21 can be exceptional but I think it's on a downturn and the best bucks are on pvt and public can be frustrating. 61 has tremendous deer but I hear during archery can be really timbered up as there is a lot of it. Hear it's really tough. 66 and 67 got brutalized by the winter. But with the genetics there are a few (very few) huge deer that are still there and a couple that are just starting to reach potential. I would probably choose 66 or 67 if it was me. I hear 66 is a little better but would choose 67 if you know it better and want higher success for a big buck. But if you want a new experience and to learn a new unit pick 66 but realize there will be a learning curve making it harder to get a top end deer. Good luck, have fun and I hope you share your adventure!

Jacks Cabin Colorado (betweeen Gunnison and Crested Butte )
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, for your input. The Crested Butte area is my usual hunt choice. Ill probally end up there again just bacause its way closer than the 67 high country. With my luck I'll decide to not hunt bucks in 67 and see a bunch of good ones while I'm antelope hunting!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well good luck with your choice. I did apply for 3rd rifle in unit 67 mule deer with 9pp.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was in 67 last fall 1st rifle elk. Saw a couple nice muleys down around 9,000ft. Don't know if I would stake my whole season on 67. At least what I saw of it. I'm currently scarfing P-Points to hunt northern 66 in the Blue Mesa Reservoir country. Hoping the last rifle season will produce some rutting activity.